Question about Changing Jet Pump Oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

srlfish

I just changed the oil for the Jet pump on a 2000 GTI. When I was putting the plug back in on the cone the plug never got tight. As a matter of fact I screwed the plug so far in it fell back into the cone. I removed the cone to retreive the plug and re-installed the plug. Is this normal for the plug not to get tight? I know when changing the lower unit oil on a boat motor the screw is tapered so you get a good tight fit. But with this plug never becoming tight leads me to think that water could get into the cone area. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Steve

Yeah man, that is just a threaded hole... so if you keep turning the screw forever, it'll do that. Just thread it until its a little more deep than flush. You should be good to go. Add a drop of lock-tite blue on it before you install to keep it from loosening up. I did one of my pumps a few months ago, and the screw is exactly where I left it.

Thanks for the reply. I have had a lot of boats but never had a jetski. I have a lot to learn. It just seems that the plug should get tight to keep the water from entering the cone. I feel alot more comfortable about now. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back