Pwc lift conversion (opinion please)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rollmagain

I have just purchased a 1200 lb cantilever lift for my PWC.
It is equipped with a large diameter handwheel. (standard issue)
I want to convert it as follows.

1) Fabricate a bracket to adapt a hub or wheel to the centre of the handwheel. Perhaps 8-12 inches in diameter with solid attachment to handwheel center hub.

2) Rig up a 2000 lb 12 V winch which is used primarily for ATVs. Small but with some power and it comes with a pendant or remote control. Motor is enclosed and water proof. Cable would simply be attached and wound around my fabricated centre hub.

3) 12 V deep draw battery like those used on RVs and hook it up to a solar powered panel for a constant charge.

4) Hook up the winch cable to the centre hub or wheel I adapted. By activiating the winch I can lower or raise my PWC.

5) Winch is powered for both directions.

I think this should work and is relatively cheap to do.
any thhoughts on concept / battery / and solar charger would be appreciated.

A few things come to mind.....

1) An ATV winch isn't designed for "Over Head" lifting. So... make sure you have a safety system in place if it fails. (like a ratchet lock)

2) I would go a little over sized. 3500# would be better. Since it will be lower in it's service limit, the amp draw will be lower, and it will give you a safety margin.

3) A soler charger will be fine if you are in a sunny area, and you are only launching once in a while. If this is on a personal dock, and you are going to try to launch multiple times a day... the solar charger won't keep up. Even a big solar charger will only output an amp... and a ATV winch can draw over 200 amps. It could take a while to recover. A big battery will help fill the gap.

I am about to install two PWC lifts made by magnum, 2500lbs each. When they go in I could send you some pics for ideas. Is there any way you could run 110V out to you dock, this would give you much more choice in ways to power the lift.

lift

I am not planning on lifting direct but just hooking the cable up to drive the wheel for lifting via another hub attached to the larger hand wheel.

1) An ATV winch isn't designed for "Over Head" lifting. So... make sure you have a safety system in place if it fails. (like a ratchet lock)

2) I would go a little over sized. 3500# would be better. Since it will be lower in it's service limit, the amp draw will be lower, and it will give you a safety margin.

3) A soler charger will be fine if you are in a sunny area, and you are only launching once in a while. If this is on a personal dock, and you are going to try to launch multiple times a day... the solar charger won't keep up. Even a big solar charger will only output an amp... and a ATV winch can draw over 200 amps. It could take a while to recover. A big battery will help fill the gap.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back