Putting in rebuilt engine..should I use an alignment tool?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be my first time installing an engine into a seadoo. 1996 speedster with the dual 717’s. Is close good enough or do I need to make one of those tools out of the 18 mm rod?

Your gonna end up with a lot of conflicting answers. There is more or less two schools of thought on this.

Many people don't think the alignment is that big of an issue many others would argue that it's an Imperative thing to do.

I have no real evidence one way or the other. Perhaps one of the gurus will have that for you.

Ultimatley seadoo says to so it for a reason and thats good enough to constitute doing it.

It may matter in the long run it may not but it's the safe bet to align it per the manual

If you have the ability and money to get one I would. Otherwise I would match it all up best effort style. If these were not 20+ old boats I would probably lean more towards the alignment tool. Worst case, I think you will get a lot of vibration and excessive drivetrain wear. Odds are if you are using the same engine support, same mounts, same pump you will probably be fine. Think about it this way- you think your boat had the original engines? (probably not) and you think whoever replaced them last used the tool?(probably not).

You have to align. No short cuts. You won't get it anywhere near close without the tool. I've tested this more than once. If you merely loosen all the engine bolts.... try as you might, you won't get a good alignment without the tool.

As etemplate is correct, it has to be done or you will ruin the driveshaft, pto splines and impeller splines. There’s no close enough.

Bought brom SBT.
If you make your own you really need an old pump to use for the guide.

If you own any other seadoos, I'd go ahead and invest in one. Mine's paid for itself so many times already. It works on both 2 and 4 stroke seadoos.

It’s also used because I have found the 4 tec engine mounts to change in size over the years
This what I think I have noticed on a 2013 Gti

I removed and installed my 587 motor twice in one boat and once in the other. (92 XPs) I made absolutely sure the splines had no side load on them. I did this by shimming the motor and carefully sliding the shaft back and forth into the spline so they aligned and coupled almost without touching. I did not know there was a tool back then. Boats still runs vibration free 5 years later. I did this because they were perfectly aligned when I pulled the motor so I expected they should be this way. Probably takes much longer this way.

Not possible to get an accurate alignment with a shaft that is not secured and rigid. Even with the tool the alignment isn't perfect. I did rim and face on my wife's ski as it was my first one. I've been aligning equipment my entire career. Her alignment was damn near perfect. LOL Her ski is faster than mine of the same vintage but I don't think it's the alignment. :D:D Might be ??Dial Ind. Alignment (1).jpg

Last edited:
The splines seem to be beveled to deal with misalignment to some degree. If anywhere close to bottoming out on that I would expect problems soon. Yet to get my hands on an alignment tool or making one, which I may end up doing, being a geek with 3 old skis definitely somewhat out of axis....

I found my tool on Green Hulk. Seller ended up being local which was cool !!! $120 I paid and it is in great shape with all the parts and pieces.

Use the tool. Previous owner/mechanic of my speedster (2x 657engines) did not use the alignment tool. 5 engine mounts are destroyed, 2x driveline seals, 2x pump rebuilds..

that’s allot of cost, far more than what the tool would of cost to have proper alignment .

If you look on the SBT site there's a return policy that let's you basically rent it if you don't feel like buying is worth it.

They'll refund you $75 if you return it within 30 days, then it goes down from there. Not a huge savings when you have to pay $180 plus expensive shipping both ways.

You'd do better trying to sell it to someone else when you're done.

Speaking of alignment tools for sale I have one I just bought for one use that I might want to get rid of! :D

They'll refund you $75 if you return it within 30 days, then it goes down from there. Not a huge savings when you have to pay $180 plus expensive shipping both ways.

You'd do better trying to sell it to someone else when you're done.

Speaking of alignment tools for sale I have one I just bought for one use that I might want to get rid of! :D

Shoot me a PM. I’m in the market

My experience :

Although the correct way is with the alignment tool, I used info from others on non alignment tool methods and ended up eyeballing it and then feeling for equal up/down and side to side play in the shaft, when inserted into the PTO.

Secondly, I read that some of the mechanics who work on Seadoo's in shops admitted that instead of using the proper tool they would have the motor mounts slightly loose and then turn over the engine 2-3 times with fuel off and then tighten the mounts.

I had changed all engine mounts as they all failed and engine had moved forward and the SP had sunk halfway on its last ride with the previous owner before I bought it the following spring. Have 18 hrs on it since running well. Mine is an older model (96 SPI) with the rounded splined one piece driveshaft which may be more forgiving re alignment.

Well I can give some expert input on this. LOL I've been aligning equipment since the 1970's and nothing, nothing, nothing and no way are there any tricks to alignment. You either use the proper tools and align or it isn't aligned. The failures that result many not manifest themselves right away. Even the Seadoo alignment is far from perfect if you use the proper tools. That is why you see me, on occasion using dial indicators in addition to the alignment kit. Seadoo alignment is basically ball park. I wonder how much longer the engines would last if Seadoo had a better drive shaft set up and more accurate alignment. Misalignment is the root cause of 80% of equipment failures. That said... your ski... I'm not losing any sleep. LOL Touchdowns everyone !! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back