Purchase help - 2002 Seadoo Utopia - would you hesitate?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiz

Newbie here - watercraft owner but want a jet boat.

Looking at this boat - a little hesitant to buy an older boat. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2002 Utopia
Less than 200 hours.
M240 EFI
Great condition.

This is the link to the ad.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/4332219834.html

This is the ad details...
We are selling our family boat. It is loaded. This is the luxury model from Seadoo with swivel chairs, stowable table, etc. Here is a review of the boat and all the features: http://youtu.be/daxCIbfrUmo

Here is a photo album of pictures of the boat: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151825713314597.1073741879.748379596&type=1&l=6193b4ca9c

It is loaded with options including:
- Bennett Hydraulic Trim Tabs - this is the best feature of this boat. You can manage rough chop, plane at low speed, balance uneven weight loads and even steer the boat with the trim tabs. Here's a description with testimonials for this specific boat: http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/viewprojectboat.php?vID=67
- Garmin GPS
- Depth Gauge
- Remote Stereo with display and 1/8" stereo input for any phone or MP3 player
- Cobra Jet Steering
- Mounted spare tire/cover
- Bimini Top
- OEM Tonneau/Cockpit Cover, Bow Cover, plus Full Cover
- Owners manual, Boat repair manual, and Mercury M240 engine service manuals are included

License is up to date on boat and trailer. It has the Mercury M240 EFI engine. It goes 48.6MPH true GPS top speed which is very fast - faster than the new Yamaha SX192 or AR192 supercharged models.

Ready to ride. Matching trailer with surge brakes, working lights, good tires, included. Can be towed with vehicles that can tow 3500 lbs. We tow it with a Honda Odyssey minivan.

Personally, I would up the budget a little if you can and hold out for a newer Utopia SE 310 with the twin (NA) Rotax.

I looked high and low for mine for over a year before I found the right deal. 2006 SE 310 with 120 hours for ~$3k more than this.

As to that boat, one has to wonder how well maintained it was with the grunge on the hull. I mean, wouldn't you clean it up for pics to sell it?

Grunge on the hull has nothing to do with the upkeep. In the water around Pitt... you will have a water line after a day of play.

If you read though the posts here, you will see that the Merc engines are good, but do have their issues. Since the boat is getting older, just keep in mind that the engine will need rebuilt soon. It seems like they go 10 to 14 years depending on how they were used/abused.

I wouldn't automatically disregard that boat... but like with any used boat... TAKE IT OUT FOR A LONG WATER RIDE ! it should start cold... it should restart easy... it should accelerate well..... and it should idle without loading up. But, smoke when cold, or at idle for long periods is normal for the Merc engines. Since it's the EFI version... there shouldn't be any reason it would have to crank for more than a few seconds to start up.

Good luck

Tony, does that look like the old style 240efi as well that may have the oil injection unit prone to fail? Or did both have a good chance of failure? My 2002 has the different style air cleaner if I remember right.

That looks like a nice boat with cool options added. I don't put much value on the GPS or the radio as both have very little value. A pocket GPS and Boss stereo are throw aways in my book, but handy if you don't have anything else.

That being said, it would not surprise me if they were a member here as the tabs and cobra-jet steering are add-ons talked about on forums, but not recommended by dealerships. The trim tabs are sweet!

Normally, that should be a 10K boat. Since it is in decent shape and with all those covers, maybe 10,500 tops. I would have a tough time shelling out $13K for it.

Nice find! Good luck!

Tony, does that look like the old style 240efi as well that may have the oil injection unit prone to fail? Or did both have a good chance of failure? My 2002 has the different style air cleaner if I remember right.

Yep. It's the first gen engine. From what i've seen, most of the "2002" engines didn't show up until very late 2002 or 2003 model years. My 2002 Islandia has a 2001 engine.

you must be decently close to me because I saw this on craigslist the other day looks like a nice boat but I agree that his price is way to high last season I posted mine on craigslist for 10k with 100 hours and 2003 and there were like 3 other Utopias for same or less in great condition and newer years. I decided not to sell as the highest price I was offered was 7k wish i would of taken it now as I'm taking mine apart to fix :p

For wha it's worth, I love my Utopia. It is a great boat. I bought my 2002 last year for $8000 I think. Minor issues like radio and fuel gage not working, but that is minor stuff. Take it for a ride before you buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back