Pump Grease Amount

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPass

So I'm going to change out my pump grease. Manual states to put 23mL or 0.8oz of grease in each pump cone. This seems like very little compared to what's currently in there. Is this the correct amount?

Pump Grease.jpg

I modified a 2oz/60mL syringe and when I draw back to the 23mL mark it just doesn't seem right. I did a search and found a post from 2014 were someone recommended twice the amount for a similar boat. I know too much grease is no good, so I don't want to mess anything up, but the amount stated in my manual seems too low.

Hopefully someone answers your post ! I also did a brand new pump and was thinking it was way too little grease so I went ahead and almost added double. I have not installed the pump yet just wondering if I put too much?

I just called my local Sea Doo dealer and he said the 23mL was the minimum amount of grease to use. He spoke to his tech who stated he filled the cone like the pic from the manual. I think you're fine with double the amount.

I'm going to measure what's in there now before I replace with new. I'll let you know what I pull out of my pump cones later this eve. I was planning on filling the bearings in the race until I see grease come out of each space between the ball bearings, then I was going to fill the cap about 2/3 of the way full or close to what I remove from the pump cones tonight.

OK, so I cleaned the pump cones out and boy was there a ton of grease in each. I only had 3 1oz cups and filled them all and then some. I wound up dumping all the grease into a 12oz cup and filled it a little more than half way. I posted some pics on a different thread here: http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?82616-Corrosion-on-reverse-bracket-before-and-after

Those are the pics I took when I first removed the cones the other day.

Each tube of grease contains 3.7oz. I'm going to put a tube in each pump cone. I'll use the tapered end to get the grease up in the bearings, then put the remainder in the cone. I should be doing it either tomorrow or Friday. I'm just waiting on a call from the dealer when the bolts I ordered come in. I can post pics during the install.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

So I'm going to change out my pump grease. Manual states to put 23mL or 0.8oz of grease in each pump cone. This seems like very little compared to what's currently in there. Is this the correct amount?

View attachment 34518

I modified a 2oz/60mL syringe and when I draw back to the 23mL mark it just doesn't seem right. I did a search and found a post from 2014 were someone recommended twice the amount for a similar boat. I know too much grease is no good, so I don't want to mess anything up, but the amount stated in my manual seems too low.

if read the manual carefully, including the bearing part. it also shows grease amounts for the front and back of the bearing. it totals over 50mls, i think by memory 55 -60 mls.

I double checked the manual and this what I found:

It states to put 4mL (0.1oz) to the bearing on the impeller side of the pump behind the seal, then again states to put 23mL (0.8oz) of bearing grease on the bearing nut side of the pump (I believe this is the rear under the cone). So that comes out to 24mL or roughly 1oz of bearing grease.

Please correct me if I'm wrong because I very well could be, but the first pic I posted clearly shows a full pump cone. Now maybe this can be interpreted as add 23mL directly to the bearing itself and then fill the cap (no amount specified). It also doesn't match what I physically removed from my pump cones yesterday.

pump grease.jpg

pump grease 2.jpg

I also believe one of my pumps (starboard) has already been rebuilt once before because the bearing is different from the port side. Port side I can see the ball bearings in the race while the starboard side appears to be sealed in that I cannot see bearings in the race. I'll post pics when I reassemble.

Last edited by a moderator:
my manual states 4ml on the bearing (impeller side) plus 26ml cone side and another 26 in the cone cover.

444.JPG
445.JPG
446.JPG

I'm not seeing what you stated in the pics you provided. Pics 1 & 2 definitely make mention of grease amounts, yet pic 3, of the grease filled cone, doesn't mention any grease amount according to the pics. Am I missing something here?

Pic 1: 4cc of grease on bearing.
Pic 2: 26cc of grease impeller shaft area.
Pic 3: just explains how to install cone. No mention of grease amount, unless you cropped it out.

I get a total of 30cc from the pics you provided.

Either way, I'm still going to install the way the shop recommended. I asked a buddy of mine to look at his cone and he said it was a little more than half way full in addition to the grease up against the bearing itself. I don't really see how putting in approximately what I took out can hurt. I do wish the manual was more specific in the grease filled pump cone pic. It's very misleading.

I'm not seeing what you stated in the pics you provided. Pics 1 & 2 definitely make mention of grease amounts, yet pic 3, of the grease filled cone, doesn't mention any grease amount according to the pics. Am I missing something here?

Pic 1: 4cc of grease on bearing.
Pic 2: 26cc of grease impeller shaft area.
Pic 3: just explains how to install cone. No mention of grease amount, unless you cropped it out.

I get a total of 30cc from the pics you provided.

Either way, I'm still going to install the way the shop recommended. I asked a buddy of mine to look at his cone and he said it was a little more than half way full in addition to the grease up against the bearing itself. I don't really see how putting in approximately what I took out can hurt. I do wish the manual was more specific in the grease filled pump cone pic. It's very misleading.

got cut off, when snipping.......
Capture4457.JPG

I see. Wonder why mine is different? Still waiting on my bolts from the dealer, so haven't repacked my bearings yet.

Re-greased everything this afternoon. Wound up putting a 3.7oz tube into each pump, with the majority of it going in the cone. Grease level in cone was slightly less than what I removed, but I think everything came out OK. Bearings were cleaned and looked good.

Cleaned port bearing.jpg

fresh grease port bearing.jpg

port pump cone grease.jpg

cleaned stbd bearing.jpg

fresh grease stbd bearing.jpg

stbd pump cone grease.jpg

Jpass, did you just wipe the old grease off the outside of the bearing or did you remove the bearings and start fresh completely? Are there O-rings in the bailer tubes (I think that's what they're called)? As long as I'm doing it I'm going to replace any soft parts, we don't have an actual boat dealers near me so they always use a pwc of the same year and same engine type to locate parts I doubt there's any difference between them but you never know.

Is it necessary to remove the reverse buckets to grease the bearing, can it be done with the reverse buckets left on? I have the same shop manual you have and I have the general process down just want to make sure I have all the information needed and parts before I start the project the spring.

Last edited:
gb387: I wiped up all of the old grease and got everything as clean as possible prior to putting the new grease in. I did not remove the bearings. I had the pumps off for other service, but I guess you could do it without removing the reverse buckets. IMO it probably wouldn't hurt to remove the pumps and make sure everything is lubed up and ready to go for another season. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to pull the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back