Pulled the trigger: 2013 GTX Limited iS 260 - advice for a "newb?"

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Revo

Well, stopped by the dealer today and finalized all the paperwork. Pulled the trigger on a leftover 2013 GTX Limited iS 260. Got a pretty awesome deal, at least I think. Got about 3600 off MSRP and didn't pay a dime in freight/setup fees.

Also got the 6 year extended warranty (7 years total including the factory one). No limit on hours. Figured it would be worthwhile on a ski as complicated as this one (especially with the suspension and all). It's a 0 deductible warranty. First 4 years (of the extended warranty) are direct through BRP and last two are through a third party.

Picking it up this Saturday - pics to come.

Anyway, anyone have some general advice you figure I'd need to know? I've been reading like crazy. I grew up with a Seadoo XP so I'm not unfamiliar to PWCs but the more I know the better off I'll be.

So far I've already got myself some 3M Marine wax and CF numbers on the way. I will be ordering a proper full face helmet soon (with goggles as well - and sunglasses or something to wear when I'm not using the helmet), a solid fitting PFD, and eventually will probably get shoes and gloves. Also looking to pick up a tow strap for emergencies. I believe the limited package comes with a fire extinguisher, if not, I'll pick one up.

Did I miss anything?

Per USCG regulations you need a whistle or hand held air horn....aka noise maker.

Might want to think about a bilge pump. I just added one to my 2010 GTX (no suspension), because I ride in pretty rough water and leave in the water for days at a stretch. Simple insurance for me.
I bought a Cooper Anchor.......plastic, 2.2 pounds. Developed in Austrailia. I keep it in the hood, with about 3' of chain and 50 feet of line.
I like to ride with a liter or two of extra coolant....just in case.
A floating gator for those glasses.
I bought a case of Fluid Film. I ride in salt water. I love the stuff. I also use Salt Away after a ride.

Enjoy your new ride.

Jaybeaux

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

your ski should have come with an extinguisher....

will ski be stored inside (stand) or outside (cover) ?

next on the list... Ski buddies !!!! I don't recommend riding alone

436.jpg

The only people who I'll let ride my ski (with the full power key) are my dad, my friend who I will be going with, and one or two other friends. I will let a few more of my friends ride it with the learner key, but that's it.

However, fortunately there is a riding club in southern California, so I plan on joining them for rides as much as I can. Otherwise I'll ride be riding with my friend who has a ski.

A bilge pump is a good idea. I know I've read quite a few write ups on installing one. I'll definitely look into it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will likely pick up two small 1L or 1/2L containers to store oil and coolant for emergencies. Gators are a great idea as well. Using some sort of film on the inside of the ski is something the dealer recommended. Good to know it wasn't just a bunch of BS.

My dad might be picking up a 2013 RXT-X to go ride with me, in which case we'll likely just put the entire trailer (Zieman J-2B - picking it up tomorrow and then immediately going to get the ski) in the garage. If it's just my ski on the trailer, I'll likely buy a dolly/stand for it and put it in the garage and slip the trailer into the side yard. Either way, the ski will be garaged most of the time.

There she is! It was raining so I rushed to put the cover on (thankfully included with the Limited package), and because it was raining I didn't get to take her out as originally planned. Maiden voyage on Saturday. Can't wait!

Attachments

• 11014727_10206486701790188_1346451124_n.jpg
    11014727_10206486701790188_1346451124_n.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 27
a few "Is" tips:

when decelerating, slowly come to a stop. don't just let off the throttle from 45mph+ otherwise water will come over the rear platform and fill the Is cavity and destabilize you and in and extreme cases, even capsize you.

also, be absolutely sure your rear storage hatch is closed, otherwise water will fill your rear storage bins and your hull. do not try to over stuff the rear bins and force the rear hatch down or otherwise do anything to disrupt the stock seal. gently shut the hatch and then press down on each side, insuring that both locks are in the down position and secured.

be mindful of any water that gets water into the Is cavity, water will flow out of the rear passages when on plane. make sure no debris clog the rear passage grates.

and most of all keep that factory warranty up as long as possible. reason being: it takes ~2 shop hours just to separate the hull halves which you have to do if you're doing anything other than changing the oil or spark plugs.

one last thing: be gentle with the handle bar buttons. the Is control buttons like to stick if you press on them too hard.

Thanks for the reply... I did buy an extended warranty - so I have a total of 7 years of warranty on the ski. I'm a Mechanical Engineer so my natural thought is just to do all the fixes myself, but I did my research and from what I have heard about the upper deck, I thought the warranty would be a good investment.

That said, does the ski come with any sort of water evacuation abilities from the factory? A small bilge pump or bailer or something? I made another thread but I figured I'd ask again here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back