PTO failure?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cocacola

last weekend we were having a ball....wife, daughter and me riding our GTI.
It was the first time we had this much fun with it as I had got it cheap and had to fix.

After an hour or so of riding, I made a tight turn and it suddenly felt like something let go. No thrust or power. Engine kept running. Idled back to ramp but no real thrust.

Last summer I lost a wear ring instantly with a stick so I figured that's what happened. My new wear ring is already showing wear, but I don't think the complete loss of thrust is that. Please see pics. My guess is that the shaft is stripped at the PTO or it's the PTO itself. Need to take apart to find out.

Attachments

• IMG_9359.JPG
    IMG_9359.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9360.JPG
    IMG_9360.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9361.JPG
    IMG_9361.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9362.JPG
    IMG_9362.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9363.JPG
    IMG_9363.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9364.JPG
    IMG_9364.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9365.JPG
    IMG_9365.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9366.JPG
    IMG_9366.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9367.JPG
    IMG_9367.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9368.JPG
    IMG_9368.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
As a point of reference, I had to replace shaft and PTO a while ago. The PTO and shaft at that end were both visibly chewed up without a doubt, while the impellor and shaft at that end looked perfectly fine.

As a point of reference, I had to replace shaft and PTO a while ago. The PTO and shaft at that end were both visibly chewed up without a doubt, while the impellor and shaft at that end looked perfectly fine.
did you see debris from shaft and PTO when they were still together? My guess is that I will see metal shavings inside PTO

I have taken everything off except PTO. all the splines look the same and NO METAL SHAVINGS ON ANYTHING.
Please confirm if I am supposed to have a rubber insert on BOTH ENDS of driveshaft (I do).

I am wondering if my shaft was stuffed into PTO far enough?

Maybe there is something inside PTO keeping shaft from fully seating....like a rubber insert from shaft.

the pump housing was not as tight as it should have been on back of Seadoo.

to recap....we were riding wife, daughter and me on Seadoo. I was driving it somewhat hard....then it felt like I lost propulsion....engine kept running and we idled to ramp. would not take off.

Last edited:
OK here’s the latest picture. It seems to me all the splines look intact. I find no metal shavings. The only thing that grab my attention was maybe the pump housing wasn’t screwed securely enough to the Sea-Doo and somehow the PTO lost its grip on the shaft.

got it all back together....will test soon. Since I found NOTHING wrong (thanks for confirmation FlyboyX)....I'll have to hope it was some sort of assembly error.

Here's a thought, and really hope it's not this..., has anyone ever had a crankshaft strip where the PTO does not thread on? I tried to remove PTO and it seems solidly on the crankshaft.

As I mentioned before, I don’t see any issues with any of the parts in the photos you posted.
you were right!!!! first time since I had issue and it performed flawlessly for hours. Maybe I ran over a plastic bag weeks back that blocked the pump intake....who knows, but no issues now.

I did replace the start stop switch. what a huge improvement that was. before.... you could not feel or hear the switch. Now....it starts with authority. Previous owner did mention this, but I forgot. Cheap fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back