Please Help! Rope sucked into shaft - ruined o-ring

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

random hero

My brother in law sucked up a nylon/plastic ski rope into the right engine of our Challenger 230. Took me about 90 min to cut it out, turns out it was melted onto what was some form of grease seal between the outer shaft guard, and the impeller assembly (looking up from bottom of boat). What exactly is the seal called that is ruined? I can now see the splines on the drive axel to the impeller, other side appears to have some form of covering on it. Also a lot of grease is now exposed on the shaft.

We were headed to the lake, I wasn't sure if it would damage the boat to run it like this for a few hours, this will likely be out last day of the year, my 2.5 year old is going bananas!

Last edited:
You didn't mention a year, so I went with a 2012 230. Sounds like you're referring to the impeller boot. They're cheap to replace, but you'll need to pull the pump to do so.

Impeller Boot.jpg

it's an 08, but that's it! Huge Thanks - I'm guessing boat shouldn't be run in the water w/o it

It's not recommended to run without it, especially in salt, but you can run for a short while while waiting for parts. When the new part comes in, be sure to clean everything up and pack the splines with some waterproof grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back