Outside winter storage with original Sea-Doo cover - Tarp it also?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dadasaurus

Last Winter I was able to store my 1996 Speedster in my garage, but unfortunately this year I will need to store it outside. I have the original Sea-Doo cover. I was originally planning to first cover the boat with the Sea-Doo cover then cover that with a tarp, but now I am wondering if I should also use the tarp or not. I figured the tarp would further protect the boat, and also protect the Sea-Doo cover, but now I am wondering if I should only use the Sea-Doo cover so that there will be some air-flow.
Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Tarp will trap moisture and condensation and mold the cover and inside. Wash your cover and spray it really good with 303 fabric protectant.

Your best bet is to see if there ia a place that does the marine wraps for a couple hundred bucks if you really love your boat.
shrink-wrap-pontoon-boat.jpg

I guess it depends how warm it is and how tight fitting :)

I stored my boat outside last year beside my house in Ontario. I used some pieces of wood to support a light cover (really just keeps dust off, more info below) and then put a heavy duty tarp which really saved the entire thing caving in. All great in the spring.

This year I did the same thing but am storing it further north which gets much more wind so hopefully it will work out.

A couple of key things I did was:

1) Ensure as dry as possible
2) added moth balls everywhere (in open containers)
3) Both storage location are protected by wind on 3 sides - at home it only got north wind and at the cottage it will only get a bit from the east.

I found the light cover I got off Amazon wouldn't withstand anything - no wind or water as it would pool up. I ended up putting two grommets (holes) right where the water pooled so that I could still leave it covered when I wasn't there during the nicer weather. Worked great - figured I am not concerned about water, just sun and bug/bird dirt.

Don't do the tarp over cover method. I tried it and it doesn't work, no matter how well you try to support the cover. I even put Styrofoam pool noodles between the tarp and the cover, and it was a moldy disaster in the spring. You should have no problem finding somebody to shrink wrap that boat for around $80. Nice thing is, you can carefully remove the shrink wrap in the spring and reuse it for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back