Oil usage

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

leo111

Is there a standard ratio or formula if you will on oil consumption?

It seems as though I am burning through an awful lot of oil when I am on the lake. Rough estimate would be about 1 gallon in a weekend which I will guess is around 6-8 hours of boating. This may be normal though too.

Obviously it will differ on how high of rpm I am running the boat at, and yes, I have young children who like to tube, and ski, etc. The towing of them behind the boat sure doesnt help either I'm guessing.

I'm using a Mercury Premium Plus 2-cycle Outboard Oil.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance everyone.

I'm not sure about the 240 but my 200 is computer controlled. It is 40:1 at wide open throttle and 300/400:1 at idle. Or so the service manual states. I have a 3 gallon tank that feeds the system. I have a 40 gallon fuel tank. I estimate a half a gallon or so of oil per tank of gas.

The 240 is also comp controlled and also has a 3 gallon tank, but a 50 gallon fuel tank. If your estimate at a 1/2 gallon or so of oil per tank is close, then it probably isnt that far off. I probably will go through 1 1/2 - 2 tanks of fuel on a given weekend. So the 1 gallon that I am estimating may be pretty close after all...

Thanks bferg61

Not quite an apples to apples comparison.
EFI mixes oil and gas in the intake and burns them in the combustioin chamber, while the optimax injects air and gas mixture directly into the combustion chamber while the oil is recirculated.
Basically, the EFI (240) burns more oil and gas than the optimax (200).

If you fill up the oil and gas then go out run the boat then fill the oil and gas back up taking note of how much you put in that will give you the ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back