oil shot into the air like a fountain after oil filter change

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezer

Today i changed the oil and filters in my 2007 speedster 200,i extracted approx 2.5 litres of oil from each engine , put in new filters and the 3 o rings filled the engines with 3 litres of oil each started 1 engine with no problem then started the 2nd engine and oil shot up into the air it came down on my head and all over the boat,oil is everywhere and i did not see where it came from i am thinking it came from the oil filter cap and shot into the air under pressure, the cap nut is tight but it is dark now and i cant see much.
If i pull the oil filter cap off will oil flood out every where? (dont want to pump out the new oil)
Does the cap go on a special way?
Has this happen to anyone?
Any advice on where to look firtst would be great.

You over tightened the cap and cracked it. No, oil won't flow out. Take the cap off and I'll bet the center is cracked out.

I pulled the cap of and both o rings were snaped mabe i damaged them puting the cap on, i changed the o rings and now no leak.
How far up the dip stick should the oil level be,towards the top of the marks?

Reading your original post, from an optimistic, "glass half full", perspective, there is some good news to be had...Your hair will stay in place, even on the windiest day :)

1/2 to 2/3 up on the dipstick is where it should be, do not fill to the top of dipstick or overfill, it will smoke and run bad with poor performance.

I think the greased hair slick look is coming back, so you are all set there.:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back