RESTO Oil pressure/ paint/ piston questions -657x

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so I'm finishing up my restoration. I'm going to pressure test my rotary valve case, but I'm pretty sure it's bad, so I'd need to remove the crank. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get good circlips from, and how to remove the piston pin without the piston pin tool. I am reusing my pistons, as they both at 150psi.
I was also wondering if anyone has hooked up an oil pressure guage to their oil pump, and how they did it. I don't like not knowing if I'm getting oil pressure, and there's no beeper for oil pressure, just for coolant temp. I want to fix that. I'm testing the pump while I'm doing this bottom end fix, but I want something that I can occasionally check in the future.

Also paint--- I currently have my engine out, and want to paint it. I will probably use spaypaint, and I want some reccomendations of paint type. I want to paint my engine red. If decent paint for this can only be found in paint cans, I can buy a paint gun. So rattle can and paint bucket reccomendations are welcome.

You don’t need any tools for the piston pin but if it has the OEM pin bearings they are loose and will go everywhere.
The clips are the same as WSM and Pro-X or you can go OEM but never ever reuse them.

There’s no pressure for the oil pump, this isn’t a 4-stroke. As long as it’s pumping oil it’s good to go.

Any paint is fine, these engines run cold.

You don’t need any tools for the piston pin but if it has the OEM pin bearings they are loose and will go everywhere.
The clips are the same as WSM and Pro-X or you can go OEM but never ever reuse them.

There’s no pressure for the oil pump, this isn’t a 4-stroke. As long as it’s pumping oil it’s good to go.

Any paint is fine, these engines run cold.

I know there's not high pressure, but any kind of flow would put a little pressure. I just want something to let me know it's flowing. If it fails I'd like to know before it causes any issues.
Also I know they run cold, but I need a paint that can tolerate water(possibly salt water).

The pump operates in pulses, not a constant flow. The easiest way to see if it is pumping is to let a little air into the pump, start the motor and let it idle and use your hand to put the pump at full open and watch for that small bit of air to get pushed through the smaller lines. Save yourself a lot of trouble and abandon the idea of measuring oil pressure.

The only way to deal with salt water would be to blast all the old paint and corrosion off then use a high zinc etching primer and even then salt will find a way in. Just rattle can and call it good.

You aren’t going to be able to measure any oil pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back