Oil leaking from around oil level sensor - 1996 Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dadasaurus

Hi all,
I was hoping for suggestions for this problem. I have noticed that I have oil leaking out from where the oil level sensor plugs into the oil tank. The sensor itself is very loose. If I pull it out and put it back in, it is tight when I first put it in, but once I push it fully in place it's very loose. It's like over the years the top part of the plug has worn down.
I tried using a couple zip ties around the tank to hold the sensor down tight, but that only helped a little. The shape of the tank does not let the zip tie tighten very well.
I searched the forum and only found a couple mentions of this problem and saw where someone else also tried the zip ties, but did not see much else.
I was wondering if I cleaned the area well if I might be able to use some silicone (or other sealant) to run a bead around the sensor to keep it from leaking, but wasn't sure if there was any reason why I shouldn't do this, or if it just wouldn't adhere properly even after cleaning.
I would appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

Silicone won’t like the oil. New grommet would be best. If not use automotive gasket maker. ( maybe Ultra Black)

Thanks for the quick replies.
My local dealer does not sell the grommet separately, and only sells the unit as a whole for $150.
I don't suppose you know what size grommet I need? I can remove the sensor and take the grommet off to measure it and try ordering online, or take it into a local auto shop to try to match it up, but I just thought I'd ask in case anyone already has this info.
Thanks!

Your dealer is an idiot!

He can get them directly from Seadoo just like any other seadoo part he orders.
Here is the number for the grommet at the bottom of the tank..
Grommet
MSRP: $6.99
Dealer Price: $5.94

Here is the number for the grommet at the top of the tank...
Grommet
MSRP: $9.99
Dealer Price: $8.49

These were taken directly from the Seadoo OEM parts diagram and took 30 seconds to look up.

I had this exact same issue last year. I pulled off my seat and there was oil all over everything...my tank had been clear full...and the top must have popped off when I hit a wave and oil splashed all over in there. Anyway...I ordered the original oem grommet from the same parts diagram mentioned above and I COULD NOT get that thing to fit. I don’t know if they used a special tool or something else to press it into place originally or what. I didn’t take the tank out...so maybe I could’ve gotten it in if I had more room to work with. As a short term fix...I cleaned the grommet and added a layer of automotive black gasket maker to the outside. Let it dry, and then reinstalled. It’s worked fine so far for me and holds the sensor in place. I still have the new grommet if anyone has wise words on how to get it to fit?

They are really, really tight but you just have to work them in.

I know what you are saying though, maybe the new ones are molded a little thicker than the originals.

Guys, thank you so much for all this information, and mikidymac, thank you for the part number. I will order one right away!

I just ordered the part (293720008) this morning, and I'll report back my results after I get it, thanks all!

Dealer was able to get the part overnight, and so I picked it up this morning, and went down to the boat to install it. You guys weren't kidding about the fitment, it was incredibly tight. Honestly for a while I did not think it was going to go in, but I kept remembering what mikidymac said about just having to work at it so I kept going. It took everything I had but it finally slipped into place. I can say 2 things very confidently, 1) I don't think it will be leaking anymore, and 2) I really hope I don't have to replace it again.

A huge thanks to all for your assistance, and especially mikidymac, who even provided the part number when the dealer couldn't, thank was so so helpful! This awesome forum and it's incredible members come through again!

I was trying to find the Seadoo OEM parts diagram that you guys got the parts numbers from but the only ones I found showed the oil level sensor as a whole, not the grommet part number separately. Could someone please point me in the right direction. I thought this is definitely something I should have for the future. I have downloaded the shop manual but didn't see it listed there. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back