Oil Issues with 1999 Challenger 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

flynfarr

Thanks in advance for the help....

I am looking at buying a 1999 Challenger 1800. The right engine runs OK, but according to the current owner (seller), the left engine needs a new "oil injector" or "reed" (he was not sure the term). Supposedly, the injector is putting too much oil into the engine and then sort of "flooding" the engine out if you start and stop much, like with ski towing.

He claims that the part costs about $250 and the labor will be another few hundred. Does any of this make any sense, or could the guy be full of crap? He says this problem has existed for a while and he has not really used the boat in a couple of years. Could the issue be with something else besides the "injector".

Low retail is 7K, and he is selling for 5.5K. My hunch is I may want to walk from this deal, but my main question is with this oil issue.

Thanks for the advise and help.

Danny

Sounds like you need new center crank shaft seals. You may as whale buy a new rebuilt engine as it would be more cost efective. But if you can buy the boat below whole sale value it may be worth it. Include the price of a rebuilt engine into the purchace price of the boat. :cheers:

Wow, thanks. Any suggestions how I can find the "wholesale price" and also where do you get a new engine?

Just so I understand, is there oil in the motor besides just the oil/fuel mixture? I guess I thought that there was not any other oil, so the owners explanation did not really make that much sence.

He said to clear the engine when this problem happens, you have to take out the spark plugs, cover the holes (so oil doesnt go flying) and turn over the engine until no more oil comes out. At that point he puts the plugs back in and it runs again (for a while). I am sure my wife would really be impressed with my boating skills if I had to do this in the middle of the lake while she and the kids roasted in the sun! :redface:

Thanks guys,
Danny

Well spotted.......

Good spot on that one Robin..... From what the owner is saying though, the seals are almost shot. Once totally gone, you won't be able to start. It will hydrolock on you.

Price of a new remanufactured motor is anywhere between $900 to $1200 bucks, depending on where you get it. The other idea is a crankshaft replacement. But, if the seals are shot, the piston rings are probably about gone too..........Motors age, I'd replace rather than repair.

I'd say do a compression test, but with that much oil running into the crankcase, it will probably look good because the oil will provide a good seal on the rings.......

If your not really good at mechanics, I'd walk away from this one. If you have a shop do the job for you, about 4K.......If you can do it, $1500 or less.

It's best....

Sometimes, the old saying should apply and here I think it does. If it's too good to be true, then it probably is!......

I think being honest about what you've described verses being positive and saying "just get it'.......is more important than to see you get it and regret it. Now, me? ........I might see it as a deal. My forte is the 787 engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back