oil flooded motor...vibration...please help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gcha1727

Ive posted several questions here the past couple months regarding this motor. Thanks to all who have responded to get me to this point. Ive learned a ton and really appreciate it.

As some of you know, I salvaged this boat at the end of the summer last year only knowing I didnt have a key and there was a few missing parts on the motor in question. I went to an auction to help my son find a car and came home with this boat. Now halfway through summer, I still havent had a day with the boat running correctly. Ive won and lost some battles and somehow still determined to win this war.

After finally getting the boat/motor running well I was off. About an hour out, motor stalled would not re-start. Screw came off air box and into the motor. Yep, as much as I hate to admit it, my latest grief was my own doing. Both airboxes were missing when I bought it. Found some used ones and put the short screws on the lower side, big mistake!! one hole was kinda stripped out, and I thought the blue locktite would hold, another mistake!! Im such a donk.

Anyways, I pulled the motor and took it apart. Both pistons were shot , RV, and RV shaft was bent and brass gear was stripped. I ordered 2 new pistons and bought a used RV and RV shaft complete with gear from a local new/used store in my area.

I opened up the case and found brass shavings in center. The crank seemed to rotate smoothly. Its an sbt. I checked some crank tolerances and they checked good. I didnt want to remove the pieces off the crank. I did pull it out of case to inspect for damage. Blew it with compressed air. Then cleaned out the case. Everything seemed to go back together well. The counterweights on balance shaft were as the manual showed. Im now wondering if I put too much oil on the counter shaft. I didnt fill it,but maybe halfway, probably a little less than halfway. I remember some of it leaking out a hole (maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch) on side of case. As if there was a little too much in there at first.

After assembly I put motor back in boat. The motor mounts seem to be good. I didnt notice that the oil was draining from my tank into the motor. I prob only had a quart or two in there at the time. Later on, I blew the oil out the plug holes until it seemed like it was all out. I was able to start the motor but its vibrating pretty hard. I still have the RV oil line pinched so I dont want to keep running it. Its smoking real bad when I do start it. Im not sure if the oil and vibration problems could be related...

Another thing I should mention is when putting the oil lines back on the motor, I put the return line (the line under the cylinders) on 1st. The 2 supply lines were off and capped for maybe up to an hour.. Is it possible the return line drained oil into the motor???

Is there anything to check or do without pulling the motor back out??? If not , what should I be looking for when opening it back up???

THANK YOU AGAIN...ANY THOUGHTS OR IDEAS ARE APPRECIATED!!!

Regardless of how you had the hoses hooked up... the engine shouldn't fill with oil.

My personal thoughts are, when the brass gear gave up... the metal bits chewed up the center, and RV seals, and that's why it's pumping oil into the engine.

Find out if your local shop can change the crank seals. If they can't, you will need to purchase a rebuilt crank.

opened up motor today...

pulled motor today and opened the case...heres what i found

1st- seals on crank and crank in general look great. I dont think its that old. I bought the boat with parts missing off this motor and Im thinking its poss. the crank had just been replaced. It has sbt on it.

2nd- I pulled out the RV shaft. Looking at the back of the seal, next to bearing it looked bent or "cocked" were the band holds it to the shaft. I replaced the seal with the one from the old shaft but that was a little messed up too from when I removed it a few days ago. I tried a couple oz of oil behind it and it leaked. I feel pretty strong with a new seal on RV my problem will go away...Also, originally most oil was in mag cylinder, I just set timing (mag cylinder hole open) so it makes sense the leak could be coming from RV.

3rd- Im gonna try to find a new RV seal tommorow and report results..

4th- my lines on gears that I thought were lined up were a couple off. Stupid me. Hopefully that helps the vibration

With some luck I will get that new seal in, motor reinstalled, and will report findings

Thanks

Hope it's your RV seal too. It will be the cheapest thing to fix.

Let us know if it works.

replaced rotary valve shaft seal

Replaced the seal on RV shaft. Reaseembled motor and it did not oil flood. Started up and idled well...
Compression showed 150ish - both sides.

Took it to lake today
started and idled well.. A little sluggish in the 3k range ( my raves are messed up) But got passed 3k up on plane and run well for a few minutes..

It started to sputter a bit and didnt want to go past 4500 rpms. Im assuming fuel,air, or exhaust issue but not sure...I havent looked at it yet.

Maybe ill start a new thread if I dont figure it out.

The oil and vibration problems are fixed...THANKS for the help along the way!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back