Oil filter cap question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SD_Challenger

So I did an oil change this weekend after watching a couple of YouTube videos. Only my oil filter cap bolt had some extra parts on it. My boat is a 2012 Challenger 180 215. Take a look at the pic. Also, everything I could find said 80 inch pounds of torque, but it took 35ish FOOT pounds of torque to break it loose?!?! Is the 80 inch pounds right? Thanks for the help. IMG_2958.JPG

I'm not sure what you consider "extra"? Looks just like the one from our 2012 210SE.

What's the issue?

80-inch pounds is like 7 foot-pounds. It doesn't matter how much torq it took to take it off. It matters when you tighten it bake down. Yours looks just like mine 2012 215 HP

Don't forget to replace the little o-ring on the bolt. You have to remove the nut and sleeve to replace it.

What size is the star bolt? Or in other words what size socket? Found the answer in another thread. E-Torx 10.

Last edited:
Really, it comes down to have done it many times, I do not use a torque wrench, tight is right.

All looks good new o ring on bolt thin oring on cap top end thickno ring in groove put nut on bolt as in picture new oil filter and torque to 80 inch pounds
Manual says put grease around bolt head once torqued to stop water puddling up

Also check that the bottom oil seal of the filter did not stick to the bottom of the oil housing.

It was around 09 or 10 when they added those extra parts. What they do is force the cap upward when loosening the bolt which is a huge improvement. The old design had the bolt come out and then you have to use your fingertips to work the cap side to side to get the cap off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back