RESTO Oil Change?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steves Doo

New User here - Bought my first boat this summer - 2005 Sposter LE - Rotax direct injection - Ran great all summer :cool: - Now for Maintenance - haven't been able to figure out the engine model (photo attached) - anyway - I went to check oil level - can't find a dip stick:rolleyes: - any ideas where to look on this would be great!

Attachments

• IMG_2620.JPG
    IMG_2620.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 13
Engine is a 951. There is no crankcase oil to check. If you are talking about the 2 stroke oil, you should be able to see the container mounted in the engine compartment and just visually see the level.

Thanks very much for your reply! - Good to know, but could you explain how the crank is lubricated? - that seems super weird to me

The 2 stroke oil/fuel mixture is injected into the engine cylinders which lubricates the cylinders and rotating assembly as well as some being burned off during combustion.

Hmm, I have had lots of 2 stroke motors over the years and have always had oil in a crank with them - live and learn I guess - Thanks for your info - Have a Happy Christmas!

And thank you - Merry Christmas to you as well.

As for other two strokes, it is more common for a 2 stroke with a gearbox built into the crank case to have oil for that purpose, or like an outboard to have gear box oil, but no crankcase oil so to speak.

So you ran it all summer and it didn't run out of 2 stroke oil in the tank? Make sure you use the proper oil. Do not use outboard TWC 2 stroke oil. I recommend what the engineers designed it to run on which is the BRP XPS full synthetic 2 stroke oil.

Basically the definition of a 2 stroke means that there is no oil in the crankcase because it is in the fuel. 4 strokes have oil in the crankcase.

Didn't run out of 2 stroke oil - watching that closely (we only ran maybe 6 hrs) - I understood the gas/oil mix business but never realized that oil was enough to lube the bottom end (I always thought it was just lubing the pistons) - thanks for the link to the post - helps (now I'm just a little edgy about wanting to make sure the oil pump never glitches or fails!!) - next level research I guess - thanks

The oil pumps are pretty stout! But ski-d00 brings up a great point - with a 951 especially, running top quality and specifically designed oil is key to maximum engine life in my experience. I also only buy BRP. You'll see when looking at the containers, they have a specific full synthetic one designed for fuel injected 2 stroke models.

All correct. You have a direct injected 951, known as a 951 DI.

You have to only use API-TC full synthetic oil , under no circumstances anything else and you can never premix it like an old 2-stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back