Oil change 50 or at 100 hours?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdfish1

Was under the I,pression I was supposed to change the oil every 50 hours and just hit that interval on my gtx155 bc the dealer said so. Also told me oil goes bad like milk so even if the hours aren't there, need to do it once a year. I call a little bs on the milk theory but anyway, it has been 18 month since the oil was changed by dealer and I have 52 hours (only 102 hours total run time on 2008 unit). The oil is properly filled and looks good. Ski is used very infrequently. Was going to order a seadoo oil change kit for 65$ and change oil and filter,then buy plugs separately but maybe it's not time yet.

By the way, should I skip the seadoo kit and just buy 5/40 semi synthetic from advanced auto parts store and find a filter? Seems like the kit oil is $12/quart and auto store semi sun is 5$

Oil breaks down after time by bacteria and heat. Synthetic not so much. Change it at least every 2 yrs or sooner if you reach more than 15 hrs.
Stay with the SeaDoo synthetic blend with wet clutch additive. Full synthetics can screw with the oil pressure due to thinner viscosity. Oil pressure sensor sends low oil pressure message and the engine goes into limp mode.

Agreed with AircraftDoc. However, personally since mine is Supercharged, I change it every 20 hours or at the end of the season before putting it to bed for the winter. Since the plugs are so easy to remove, I also will remove/inspect/clean at every oil change. I put Brisk Racing plugs in my GTR215 and I've been very happy with them.

Does anyone use platinum or iridium plugs? I have 2 2008 GTI SE 130. I checked the plug yesterday and looks good on the electrode but end of treads seem to be rusted and longer than a year old. I bought used

My owners manual for my 2013 260 model calls for the oil to be changed every 100 hours or 1 year, whichever comes first. So far I put about 25 hours on a year on average, so the time is what hits first for me. I'm trying to ride it more this year though.

Changing the oil is super easy with the right tools (just be careful not to drop anything into the hull...ask me how I know). Assuming no issues, it takes about an hour. Costs about $70, which is honestly a drop in the bucket compared to all the other running costs for these things. The spark plugs are less than $10 for 3 off amazon, so also cheap insurance to change them with each oil change.

In any case, replacing the oil and plugs also allows you to inspect the old oil and plugs and it can help you find out if anything is wrong. If your oil comes out milky, that means you got water in it. If your plugs come out white or black, too lean or too rich. My oil came out just like the oil from my car. Brown, but not too dark. Clean and without any contaminants. If you want, you can take it a step further and send it in for a used oil analysis (Blackstone is the main one people use).

Changed oil today. Took longer than I expected but I took my time, it was raining lightly and I had nothing else to do. Only thing I didn't notice upon removal of filter cap was one side was kinda flat vs completely round. I was unsure if it mattered where the flat side went, no real obvious pattern on the housing but perhaps pointed to the right or starboard side. Anyway, seems fine. I didn't think I got the o-rings caught but I do see a little bit of it in the flat section of the lid, slightly compressed but I tested for leaks and everything seems good. I was able to pump almost 4 quarts, about 1/3 cup shy. So, I replaced with almost all of the 1 gallon jug of Xps oil.

Also, used a friends drill pump. It was ok, the electric is prob easier than connecting and manipulating the drill but it worked fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back