Non running 2002 rx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dothadoo

I just bought a not so gently used 2002 RX, and the guy claimed it ran a little over a year ago and the carbs just needed to be cleaned out Bc it sat with fuel in it for that whole time. I have since removed the carburetor and am going to order a Mikuni rebuild kit. I do have a few questions about this particular ski though.

1. Does it have an electronic fuel pump that turns on when the ignition is turned on? If so, I don't hear it turning on and priming.
2. The oil line has been removed and has been converted to premix. I do get a low oil light on the dash and need to know how I can get it to turn off. Iirc, it will beep very annoyingly loud if it is not addressed. I suppose I could try adding oil, but I am not sure if the proper steps were taken when making the conversion.
3. There is a rubber shaft boot that is torn and I noticed a little zirk fitting on the flange. Do I just use a marine grease for this and how often should this be done?

Thanks for the help. I will likely have more questions as I get into the project a little further.

Last edited:
1. There is no electronic fuel pump unless you have an RX-DI then you would have fuel injection and no carbs.
2. You can just jump the two wires from the oil sensor together to turn the light off.
3. Yes, pump grease only until you see the shaft stop moving back but you need to replace the boot asap.

THe oil injection needs to be removed correctly or the pump can seize and the inlet fittings can suck air and damage the engine.

1. There is no electronic fuel pump unless you have an RX-DI then you would have fuel injection and no carbs.
2. You can just jump the two wires from the oil sensor together to turn the light off.
3. Yes, pump grease only until you see the shaft stop moving back but you need to replace the boot asap.

THe oil injection needs to be removed correctly or the pump can seize and the inlet fittings can suck air and damage the engine.

Thanks. I will research the oil injection removal and find another boot.

On the boot, do I need to loosen the shaft somehow in order to change the boot out?

I decided to get into the Rave valves to clean them and found what appears to be oil. I thought it was just supposed to have some carbon buildup. I also found the black tube that connects to the valves was not connected and laying in the bilge. Am I screwed now and looking at a complete rebuild?

Attachments

• 22DCE2C5-BF87-49AC-8050-F772AABBB4A5.jpeg
    22DCE2C5-BF87-49AC-8050-F772AABBB4A5.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 30
  • 37651560-9297-4468-9F8A-AA177354E7BD.jpeg
    37651560-9297-4468-9F8A-AA177354E7BD.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
You have to remove the pump and driveshaft to replace the boot. THis is a good time to inspect the impeller, wear ring, carbon seal and change the pump oil.

It is a 2-stroke so the rave valves will always be dirty and oily. Running the correct APT-TC full synthetic oil will help to keep them cleaner and is required for all 951's like yours.

How many hours on this ski?

Make sure you are only ordering genuine Mikuni carb kits and needle and seats.

You have to remove the pump and driveshaft to replace the boot. THis is a good time to inspect the impeller, wear ring, carbon seal and change the pump oil.

It is a 2-stroke so the rave valves will always be dirty and oily. Running the correct APT-TC full synthetic oil will help to keep them cleaner and is required for all 951's like yours.

How many hours on this ski?

Make sure you are only ordering genuine Mikuni carb kits and needle and seats.

135 hrs on the ski. I have checked with a couple local dealers and neither have two kits in stock. The main seafood dealer said theirs is after market and not Muniki. I will likely just order them online. Most of the Mikuni kits don’t come with the seats and needles though. I found some moisture in the gas as well as trash. Overall, the carbs look fairly clean though. How about that line that goes into the Rave valves? Where should the other end terminate?

Last edited:
I would suggest OSD Seadoo parts as you can get custom kits with just what you need including carb base gaskets. Needle and seats are always extra. DO NOT buy aftermarket carb kits!
I would also replace the fuel selector (ON/OFF Valve) and the o-ring on the fuel strainer lid.

I have a couple more questions on the engine. I have been looking through the shop manual and it’s really difficult to tell exactly where the other end of the tube goes that hooks onto the Rave solenoid. It looks like it’s a 4mm to a check valve then to a 6mm to the crankcase somewhere. I am missing the check valve and 6mm line if that is the case. I do have a nipple that is without a hose close to the starter, (see pic).

Also, I have an R&D flame arrestor and I cleaned it. Do I need to oil it like a K&N filter on a car?

Are the new ergo grips compatible with the RX bars? I am going to replace the grips and was thinking about those.

I inspected the wear ring which appeared to look pretty good. It may have even been replaced recently. The impeller is so so. I’m sure it could stand a new one but I am going to hold off for the moment to make sure I can get her running first.

In the mean time, I have ordered the OEM Mikuni carb kits from OSD, which should be here sometime next week. I have also ordered a new front bumper and PTO boot. I did shoot a shot of starter fluid in the manifold while I had the carbs off to see if it would fire and it did, so that was very encouraging. I can’t wait to get the new carb rebuild kits in.

Attachments

• CFB54C7F-8C19-4295-9704-45B241343D8F.jpeg
    CFB54C7F-8C19-4295-9704-45B241343D8F.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 5FC13C46-530E-4E47-90D7-F36D3EF5A9AB.jpeg
    5FC13C46-530E-4E47-90D7-F36D3EF5A9AB.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 20
I am pretty sure that is the correct nipple. One goes to the RAVE solenoid and one to the carb fuel pump if I remember correctly. Don't run it with that open or without the check valve.

A 951 should never get water into the intake or it will not live much longer. I am a big fan of the stock air cleaner on the 951 for this reason and wouldn't run an open element on one of mine. IF you decide to run that air cleaner I would call Watercraft Magic in Glendora, CA. and ask what the proper jetting should be and make sure that is what is in your carbs. You can't run that air cleaner with stock jets and carb settings. No, do not oil it.

Also never put starting fluid in a 2-stroke as there is no lubrication. If you have to mix a little gas and 2-stroke oil.

I am pretty sure that is the correct nipple. One goes to the RAVE solenoid and one to the carb fuel pump if I remember correctly. Don't run it with that open or without the check valve.

A 951 should never get water into the intake or it will not live much longer. I am a big fan of the stock air cleaner on the 951 for this reason and wouldn't run an open element on one of mine. IF you decide to run that air cleaner I would call Watercraft Magic in Glendora, CA. and ask what the proper jetting should be and make sure that is what is in your carbs. You can't run that air cleaner with stock jets and carb settings. No, do not oil it.

Also never put starting fluid in a 2-stroke as there is no lubrication. If you have to mix a little gas and 2-stroke oil.

Thanks. In know that about the starter fluid. All I wanted was reassurance that it will fire. It will indeed hurt it if I kept it running but all I needed was to know it was going to fire.

It appears that the carb has been rebuilt in the past as well as some of the screws are different.

Btw, in cleaning out the hull, I found the check valve. Definitely time for a new one.

For anyone that is interested, I found out the the nipple is for sure to the Rave valves. However, there is another nipple, just forward of the other nipple with a tube on it that goes to the carb pulse line. Mine was hooked up incorrectly and I have corrected it.

Attachments

• C427C5A4-FE92-4FC8-91D1-6F9A19E72996.jpeg
    C427C5A4-FE92-4FC8-91D1-6F9A19E72996.jpeg
    754.8 KB · Views: 16
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back