No start in water 97 spx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianmorley97

I bought a 97 spx, water tested before buying and it ran fine. It was about 50 degrees out.

Fast forward to June It will start out of the water, but not In the water. I have rebuilt the carbs cleaned out the new fuel lines, fuel bowl, and selector switch. I have 3000rpm out of the water. Hoping to get some input or someone who fixed a similar issue.

Top off battery. If that doesn't work, shove new brushes in the starter, if it still fails run fresh starter cables.

Have you checked the voltage drop on a multimeter when you start it in the water?

Seems like the starter is weak for some reason (in water there is a higher load to start). I'm assuming in water you can hear the starter relay click still?

Top off battery. If that doesn't work, shove new brushes in the starter, if it still fails run fresh starter cables.

Have you checked the voltage drop on a multimeter when you start it in the water?

Seems like the starter is weak for some reason (in water there is a higher load to start). I'm assuming in water you can hear the starter relay click still?
Have not checked voltage drop. It seems to be cranking fine just won't fire.

We tested everything, took it to the lake and it started but noticed there's water getting into the front cylinder. Are there common places to look on these seadoos for that?

,with the battery at least 12.6 V do a load test on it,,,to rule out the battery,,,to rule out the starter,,,pull the plugs,,,remove pto cover ,,,,can you rotate the crank by hand easily,,,then do a compression check,,,cylinders should be within 10%'of each other,,,if this all checks out,,,its probably the starter,,,you also can do voltage drop test on the starter,,,should not drop below 11V ,,I think.....you can google that,,
You ,blame a starter,,,if the motor is seizing up ,slso assuming all your major connections to the starter are secure and clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back