no idea where to begin

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giant81

2003 Sea Doo Utopia 185

I don't know where to begin. Not just with the story of how I came to have the boat, but also the boat itself.

This was a boat that a very close friend purchased this summer and that we went out on the lake in many times. My entire boating experience is with him, and most of it is in this boat. It's also the first time me and my kids have ever been tubing on the lake. He taught me how to launch a boat, how to read the buoys, and about proper boating etiquette. He loved buzzing around in the lake, and up the river, right up until he beached it on a sand bar and it must have ingested a good bit of sand and broke something. So then it became a project boat we were going to fix up this winter.

Unfortunately, he passed away last week, and now she's my boat. I'd like to try and fix it up, but I honestly don't know anything about anything. I don't know where to start in winterizing it, or where to start on fixing it, or how registration works, or insurance, or anything. What kind of maintenance things do I have to do to the trailer?

First question is winterization. My understanding of the system from doing some googling is that it's a 'total loss' system, which I suspect intuitively means that whatever water it's pulling in for cooling and propulsion just drains out when put pull it out of the water. Does that mean I don't have to run any pink stuff through for the winter? Are there other things I should do? Do I need to do anything with the fuel system? I've never winterized a 2-cycle before.

When I do start looking at getting it going, where should I look? I know He talked about he had taken the jet apart so he could inspect the impeller, he thought he'd broken that, but said that looked ok. Then he theorized it was in the gear housing somewhere and that we'd need to pull the engine out to get to whatever gears are in there. Any idea how to troubleshoot that? Can I hook a hose up to it and start it and see if I can get it to blow water? And if it does or doesn't, does that really tell me anything?

Sorry for all the questions and sorry for the long post. I just need someone that can help me find out what's wrong, or point me in the right direction, so I can fix up his boat and get it running. Thank you for all the help.

I have a 2001 Utopia 185 with 200 SFI Optimax; mine is 2 stroke : yours is probably 4 stroke , but essentially the same concept.

If freshwater , no draining necessary ; no pink antifreeze needed
if saltwater ; then flush with a hose after each use . Connect hose to the inlet - upper right .

Other than flushing, you should change the lube oil each season using Mercury High Performance Gear Lube 90 ( available at Walmart )

Attaching some manuals; try to find the on exactly for your model & year . you'll get the basic concept.

For the impeller; don't try to take it off unless damaged .. it requires a $100+ socket . you can view it thru the grate underneath the boat ; look for big dings on the prop edges; all the damage usually occurs the front side leading edge .

boat is very fun once you get it running.

good luck

Attachments

• 200_sportjet.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
  • M2 Jet Drive Operator‘s guide .pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • seadoo 2001 boat utopia operator guide .pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
  • sjannualservicev1.1_190.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.