Newbie with dash question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dexter10

Hey all, new to the forum as a member and this site rocks! I had my first issue today with my 08 challenger 180 and that is the whole dash is not working. checked fuses and none are broken. called dealer and they said if they get wet they can fry...it's a boat man!

anyone have tips for me on this as I dont have warrantee and its $500 to replace. thanks!!

So, are you saying that the speedo/tach/depth finder is not working, or nothing on the whole dash? Does it respond to your DESS key? Start/stop? Switches working? Can you drive the boat, but you just don't see the guage display?

Judging from your comment on the price, it sounds like you are talking about just the dash gauges. That part can be purchased for around $430 online (plus shipping). I doubt water is the reason for the problem--you'd have to get a lot of water on the dash for any to get behind the panel and into the electrics and the chances of that only affecting the gauges and not any of the switches are very remote.

The instrument cluster is #6 in the panel. I'd double-check that fuse, and even temporarily replace it with a new one to be sure. Even if that's not the problem, there are a couple of things you can do before you resign yourself that the whole IC is bad. After you check/replace the fuse, you can see if you are getting power to the fuse block. Check to make sure there's not a short in the wires to the IC.

I had my charging system fail! After checking over I found the fuse had corroded/ failed! It was salt water corrosion due to the water running down the wiring, past the seal and into the fuse holder assembly! I replaced it with a new assembly and all good. I was shocked to find all of the fuses in the engine bay are vulnerable to the same fate! After checking/ lubing all of them, I cable tied them all from the top, preventing water running down the wiring straight into them! Shame this wasn't done from the factory!

Good luck checking all of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back