(newbie) 1998 Sea Doo GTI Winterization Videos

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 1998 Sea Doo GTI 718cc and would like to try and winterize it myself this year. I know YouTube is a great resource for help of all kinds, but I have not been able to find a winterization video for my spesific Sea Doo. Can someone recommend a video for me to watch (or article) for winterization of ether my Sea Doo or another one that is close enough to mine so that I won't be confused? Thanks!

The manual ( am sure you can find it on here) ,describes the static " can" method, that really is easy to do. If you can't find it, I ( or others ) , can describe it to you, I have used it religiously on my 800 for decades.

@POPPS I couldn't find anything referring to the static "can" method, but I did find a process which gets special antifreeze into the engine water supply and return lines. Is this the process you are referring to? (see attachment)

Attachments

• 1998-Sea-Doo-Operator_Guide-Supplement 16.pdf
    221.5 KB · Views: 14
Yes, I call it the CAN method. The later skis have the water outlet in the jet pump that accepts your garden hose. So quickly, ( longly) , I pinch off the drain line(s) , I remove the exit hose and attach a block off line, same 1/2 inch hose with a large bolt in it, etc. I remove the inline hose and connect my own 1/2 inch hose that is higher than the water bleed ( pisser) hose, I usually remove it. So, holding my in line hose, I fill it with straight anti freeze till the fluid comes out the highest point of the system, ( the pisser) . Therefore I have filled the CAN.

You can remove the small water injection hose at the water box,and pour some anti freeze in there, but, there is so much space in there, that it is not a freezing issue. Usually my very first move is to tip the ski up, start it, and blow outmost of the water in the box using the exhaust pressure and gravity. My very very first move is to add some stabil type product to the tank ( most threads will suggest you fill the tank to reduce condensation and water in the bottom) . My last move is to fog the motor through the removeable rubber nipple at the top of the air box, make sure your extension fitting is crazy glued so that it does not fall into the air box. Guess I should add the anti freeze into the water box after the fogging.

You can also change the oil in your pump as well. My very very very last move is to remove the battery, and bring it into my house and put a digital cheap pulse charger on it. You can of course, change the order of my moves, subtract from, them or add your own moves. I use straight anti freeze, not RV antifreeze. When you are done the anti freeze part, I remove the drain line pincher( s), and re attach the exit line hose. I have a large catch container under the pump to catch most of the draining anti freeze. Theoretically, you could leave the pincher and block off for the season, but the pinchers on the drain lines could squeeze, deform, and or crack them. I think by now you get the ideas and notions on my moves from decades of winterizing the early skis.

Thanks for all the detail @POPPS. I think I'm going to need someone to walk me through it for the first time so that they can help me identify all the hoses. This weekend or next weekend a mechanic is going to walk me through it. I have to pay him of course but I'm hoping he will teach me what I need to know for future years.

On the GTI, it’s really simple.
Get a funnel and a gallon of marine/RV antifreeze.

On your cylinder head at the rear of the engine you will see 2 black rubber heater hoses. On the metal head right at the hoses you will see two cast in arrows, one in and one out. The one pointing in just crimp that hose lightly with a clamp or vise grips. Don’t kill it just restrict the flow as much as you can.

On the inlet hose loosen the clamp at the rear of the ski and pull that hose off. Now put the funnel on that hose. Start the ski and pour the antifreeze into the funnel and one you see the antifreeze come out the exhaust outlet stop pouring the antifreeze. Rev the engine a few times to blow out any excess antifreeze then stop the engine.

Remove the funnel and replace the hose at the back of the ski and tighten the clamp. Don’t forget to remove your clamp on the other hose.

After the ski cools remove the air box cover. Now start the ski again and spray fogging oil down the carbs. Replace the air box cover.

Last step remove the spark plugs and ground the wires on the metal posts. Spray fogging oil down the plug holes then bump the engine over once or twice to spread the oil around. Replace the plugs and wires.

Remove the battery for winter storage and charging.

Now have a beer and count the money still in your wallet.

It’s really pretty easy.

Remember you are not trying to fill the engine completely with antifreeze, you are just trying to displace and dilute any water remaining in the system so it can’t freeze. The engine actually has a drain that is supposed to drain all the water out of the cylinders but sand and shells can plug it.

On the GTI, it’s really simple.
Get a funnel and a gallon of marine/RV antifreeze.

On your cylinder head at the rear of the engine you will see 2 black rubber heater hoses. On the metal head right at the hoses you will see two cast in arrows, one in and one out. The one pointing in just crimp that hose lightly with a clamp or vise grips. Don’t kill it just restrict the flow as much as you can.

On the inlet hose loosen the clamp at the rear of the ski and pull that hose off. Now put the funnel on that hose. Start the ski and pour the antifreeze into the funnel and one you see the antifreeze come out the exhaust outlet stop pouring the antifreeze. Rev the engine a few times to blow out any excess antifreeze then stop the engine.

Remove the funnel and replace the hose at the back of the ski and tighten the clamp. Don’t forget to remove your clamp on the other hose.

After the ski cools remove the air box cover. Now start the ski again and spray fogging oil down the carbs. Replace the air box cover.

Last step remove the spark plugs and ground the wires on the metal posts. Spray fogging oil down the plug holes then bump the engine over once or twice to spread the oil around. Replace the plugs and wires.

Remove the battery for winter storage and charging.

Now have a beer and count the money still in your wallet.

It’s really pretty easy.

Remember you are not trying to fill the engine completely with antifreeze, you are just trying to displace and dilute any water remaining in the system so it can’t freeze. The engine actually has a drain that is supposed to drain all the water out of the cylinders but sand and shells can plug it.

I have a 1997 GTI and it didn’t say anything about crimping any lines in the manual. It does say to disconnect the water supply hose and water return hose from the rear of the machine. It also says to remove the drain hose which I can’t locate. Can anyone help me locate the drain hose?
One I locate this hose and remove it I think I can follow the manual and complete the procedure. I’ll attach a picture of the drain hose. IMG_1355.JPG

I'm assuming this will work with my 96 gti? Also if u crimp the inlet line by the head, then take it off farther back and put the antifreeze in how's it going to get threw if it's crimped by the head.

I'm assuming this will work with my 96 gti? Also if u crimp the inlet line by the head, then take it off farther back and put the antifreeze in how's it going to get threw if it's crimped by the head.
I was being generic, some seadoo engines have two hoses out the back of the head and some have one. If you only have one hose out the back of the head then you won't have one to crimp so just ignore that step and fill the antifreeze from the one you have.

Don't worry about the drain hose either because if antifreeze runs out of it then you filled the engine anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back