new to seadoo boat need help please

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

krazybob738

Hello all I just bought a 95 seadoo speedster with the twin 657 motors I have a few problems with it when I picked the boat up the engines ran I brought the boat home dropped it in the water took it for a run and both engines ran made one lap around the lake the left motor died and the right motor would only push the boat about 10 mph I think this one needs a wear ring the left motor has wet plugs and both kinda bog at full throttle I was thinking probably a carb rebuild would be an order but this left motor just wont start the other thing I noticed is both engines are connected to one battery should I connect a second batt? the plugs also look pretty bad I am going to pick up new plugs in the morning I think maybe this engine is flooding out. also the lap around the lake took about 10 min and when I pulled the boat out of the ater I noticed some water in the engine compartment I turned the bilge on and if I had to guess I would say about a gallon of water came out of it maybe two gallons but not more then that how would I go about finding this leak? any help would be great thanks an advance!

also thought I would mention that both engines have 140 psi and spark. hypothetically speaking if something is majorly wrong with this engine and I wanted to put something bigger could I? and if so what? I don't wanna buy a whole other boat to make something work is there anything plug and play? maybe the 787 or something?

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a novice at working on my own boat, but I'll recommend a couple things. First, start with the cheap/easy items. Swap out the plugs and make sure you gap them correctly. Before you put them back in, crank the engine and let it spray some of that excess oil out of the chamber. This is especially helpful when it's been sitting a while. I put a garbage bag over the top of each carb when I do that to keep it off of everything under the hood. Mine needs a ring job, but I'll deal with the smoke at startup for now.

Engines bogging sounds like it could be carbs. Any idea if it sat a while before you bought it? Pull off the air intake covers and give each one a shot of carb cleaner. If that doesn't work, consider a carb re-build. Late last year, the port engine on my 95 speedster started doing that. I took it in for a re-build, and the mechanic determined the needles were stuck, and it wasn't pulling hardly any fuel. He freed them up and I took it and tested it and that did the trick. It'll likely still need re-built, but it might get me through the summer, and I can let him have it in the fall.

Mine runs both engines on one battery. Prior owner did that. I've never had a problem with it.

Water in the compartment is pretty normal. Just remember the bilge is not on a float. You have to remember to turn it on every so often. After a day or running and sitting along side friends' boats, when I get back to the ramp and pull her out, she usually drains for a few minutes. Maybe a couple gallons or so. As far as determining where the leak is, maybe someone else can offer some suggestions.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back