New Owner Questions - 2004 Sportster 4-Tec

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just brought it home a couple days ago. Trying to learn what's what & where it is. Figured out that the ski locker drains into the engine compartment. I looked at several boats and they all had some water in the engine compartment. On my boat, the bilge pump looks like it's a retrofit and does not reach the lowest part of the hull, leaves a bit behind, I plan to replace it. It's pretty easy to shop-vac the standing water out - how much water in the engine compartment do you folks tolerate? Any recommendations on bilge pump? Also, the port locker on deck has a drain hole, does this drain to the engine compartment as well? I would guess the starboard deck locker drains also but there's a fire extinguisher bracket in the way and I can't see a drain hole. Thanks.

Most of the compartments drain into the bilge
The seating floor area drains overboard through a check valve
I personally hate seeing water in the bilge and vacuum it dry when boat not in use and leave bilge drain plug open for ventilation

I've got an '04 Speedster and many times noticed a small pool of water in the bilge. Also noticed at times wen I've stood on the back platform, apparently my weight forces enough water to the back of the bilge that the pump kicks on and drains out the water. Residual water seems to be so limited in the center of the bilge that I don't think it causes any harm. Do others have similar experience? Or do your bilge pumps drain the bilge dry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back