New Owner of '98 Challenger 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ92x

Just purchased my first boat yesterday. It's a '98 Sea-Doo Challenger. I have a question regarding fuel/oil mixture. Not very mechanically inclined. Has 2 newer 2 stroke engines and seller said he puts mixture of oil/gas in fuel tank. Does anyone know what oil I would use and how much of a mixture I would use? Thanks in advance

Ok thanks...one other question. The red light above fuel gauge stays in which I heard means low injection oil. Is it best just to drain and replace and if so is there a set of instructions on how to do that properly?

Typically you would use injection oil OR mix oil with the fuel, not both (except breaking in a new engine). So if you are mixing your fuel/oil you can let the injection oil reservoir go somewhat low, EXCEPT!!! Rotax engines use injection oil to lubricate the cross shaft for the rotary valve. Verify if your engine(s) have hoses from the rotary shaft area to the oil injection reservoir. This doesn't require a lot of oil so you maybe ok when the light is on but there is some oil. Of course then the light doesn't really help you remember.

Maybe someone else here knows more detail about how crucial the oil to the cross shaft is. Must be needed if they put all those hoses and fittings in there.

The Mikuni Oil injection pump seems to have a bad reputation and some people swear by putting the oil in with the fuel, and not relying on the Oil injection system. Running both results in a quite a bit of smoke and carbon buildup but probably no real danger.

a 1998 Challenger 1800 uses 787 engines so you HAVE TO still supply oil to the rotary gear even if you convert to premix.

Honestly there is no good reason to switch your engines to premix.

First you need to know if it was actually converted to premix correctly (block off the oil pump, injection nozzles on the intake, remove the oil pump drive, cap the oil tank lines) or if they just started premixing.

Either way for your engines you have to use API-TC rated Full Synthetic oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back