New Owner 2002 Utopia 240EFI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

senordos13

I purchased a Utopia and love it. Have been out on the water a few times. The last time, I had an issue where I shut off the motor, and it wouldn't restart. I was able to get it to crank a single time on Starting Fluid, but when i cut it again because of the tow rope under the boat, I was unable to get restarted.

Once I got it on trailer, it restarted again, but took a little longer than usual. Next day, started right up. I have now replaced the plugs (they didn't look too bad) and I purchased a new temp sensor,but have not installed it yet. I noticed it was smoking a bit while cold, and at idle, and was told it could be a faulty port temp sensor.

I have heard there are 2 different versions of the 240EFI. How will i be able to tell the difference. The boat is in storage about 30 miles away right now, so I don't have access to it. Is there any visual cues? The motor may have been replaced because many wires are, butchered. I've replaced as many as I could, and did some rewiring myself.

I really enjoy this boat and look forward to lots of fun. Hoping to get this issue resolved and back on the water soon.

That seems to be a common issue. Mine does the same thing. Runs like a champ, but will not re-start once it is hot. Best I can tell it is most probably leaking fuel injectors. I'm in the process of getting info on cleaning the injectors and replacing the o rings, ect. I also read here that bad o rings would not cause them to leak. So, we are in the same boat (no pun). I will be following this thread.

Seems like we have a bunch of hard start 240's this year.

Since it's starting cold, after sitting... then I'm going to say the same thing to you that Les Paul is up against. Probably leaky injectors. BUT... were you running the bilge fan? The 240 likes fresh air.

As far as Gen1 vs Gen2... post a pic, and we can tell you. OR... post your serial number... or... simply look at the top. Is your cover big, and rectangle shaped, or is it just round and covering your flywheel?

Leaky injectors huh. Pull em out and rebuild them. Or should I purchase new ones?

Bilge fan. No . But had the cover open for 10 - 15 mins. I think prev owner removed the fan. I plan to purchase one but for now. Just open the hatch to start.

Engine looks like this.IMG_1976.JPG

Also, I went to swap the port temp sensor, as i was told it's an easy fix, but the connector looked different. Instead of 4 wires like the 13536A14 has, it has a clip/connector going into it. I thought this was the correct part for the G2 240EFI?

Your picture is a Gen 2... but it's a generic picture. Since your boat is a 2002... I doubt it has the Gen2... but it may. Your top cover looks like that, and not just a round one over the flywheel?

The port side temp sender is really more of an issue on the Gen 1 engine. BUT... on the Gen2 engine.... there are 2 different temp senders, and it's dependent on your serial number. Post you engine serial number and I'll verify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back