new guy, hesitant to buy Sea-Doo now?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wToast

Hey guys, I've lurked for a few days while researching a possible purchase.

I was probably a few hours from pulling the trigger on a pair of '05 RXTs that appear to be in really good shape 135/146 hrs, but having read here about the RXT issues (specifically the supercharger rebuild), I called the guy one last time and asked if he had documentation of when the SCs were rebuilt: "One, no. The other was rebuilt in 2007, but there's no note of the engine hours".

Soooo, I pulled the plug and told him I wasn't going to do it. The guy was very understanding, and seemed to not mind at all.

So now the search begins anew. I've got to say, I'm hesitant to buy a Sea-Doo now. A maintenance item to do every 100 (though I now read may be 200 hours with the newer rebuild kits) and it's VERY expensive, especially if I had two skis. I'm mechanically savvy, and I would do the rebuild myself, but $350+ for the rebuild kit?

So now I'm wondering what the other manufacturers recommend for rebuilds on their Superchargers. Does anyone know? like the Kawi Ultras or the Yamahas?? I would like to have ski's that are around 200hp (yep, I'm a power whore), mainly for towing the kids, and thinking something like the Kawi stx1200f might be the smarter buy.

Can anyone talk me off this ledge??

evrey ski has there own set of issues i had a sea doo jet boat and moved on too 2 yamaha skis love them but sea doo is great company but like all, they got issues, the yamaha skis have timing chains that blow, quite dangerous as well, not sure on kawi issues but I'm sure there is...... go with what u like, go ride them... if u like them and compression checks out and they look good go for it.... also skis and boats are gonna cost u money end of discussion we all pay for the great times on the water :coolgleam:

I went through the same decision process. Found a pair of 2007 s with just over 100 hours each. The previous owner did not do the rebuild. I suspect he saw the expense coming and decided to get rid of the skis.

I looked at other skis...some older, some newer. Some had the rebuild done but we're in worse condition than the 2007s I watched a couple YouTube's on rebuilding the SC. Decided to buy the tools and kits. For about 900 bucks (just reviewed receipts and updated the t0tal investment) I had everything I needed. I did have to upgrade my shop press...so 1000 bucks total. I offered the seller 2 grand less than his asking price. He agreed. So at the end of the day I got two really nice machines for less than the cost of used machines that I looked at that had the rebuild done already. I just rebuilt one of the super chragers last night. Took about an hour and a half.

Now...I'm a past ASE mechanic (have an office job now) I'm not afraid to tear into these things. I actually find it therapuetic. Not everyone can do it themselves. The good news is you can send it in to a reputable shop and three or four days later have it back for less than 500 bucks.

Keep in mind....it takes several years to rack up another 200 hours in these things. Mine are 9 years old and have 100 hours. I'll bet I don't need to rebuild again for at least 5 more years. Maybe more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back