Needle Seat stuck in carb body

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

andy.262

I'm trying to rebuild my carbs, so I have a new needle and seat set from OSD that is the correct set. However, I just cannot remove the old seat from the carb body. As you can see I've basically destroyed it trying to get it out, and it won't budge.

I've tried:
- heating it with a heat gun to the point where it's difficult to touch with bare skin
- soaking in Blaster
- put it through an ultrasonic cleaner with a Simple Green solution at 100F for 30 minutes

Still won't come out. At this point I can now rotate them somewhat easily, but absolutely 0 vertical motion. Any other ideas? The only other thing I can think of is to drill it out on the drill press, but that option scares me since I really don't want to damage the carb body underneath the seat if I accidentally go too far

IMG_20230502_221841845_HDR.jpg

I guess it is kind of hard to tell from the picture, but the retainer is out and has been out this whole time

Maybe if there’s enough room make some cuts on the inside of seat, not quite all the way through so as not to damage the carb body but it may still relieve enough pressure to allow it to come out. I can’t think of a cutting tool small enough though. I’m thinking the o ring in there must not be seated properly and is binding

I promise I took the clip out. Look, here's another picture with me holding the clip that I took out

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 14
Pull and wiggle, it is just stuck on the o-ring.
If it spins you are already half way there.
Sounds simple but it looks like you have tried.
You could try a slide hammer with a screw going into the seat, just don't go too deep.
SG-81400__91357.jpg

I liked the screw idea, but I don't have a slide hammer. I ended up putting a screw into them just far enough where it was gripping, clamping the carb down to the bench, protecting the carb body with a towel and then prying the screw + seat out with the claw end of a regular hammer.

Weird how tough this was, I've rebuilt carbs a few times before on my other skis and they've always just come right out no problem.

It appeared to be a combination of of a bunch of things. The o-rings were destroyed by the time I got them out, so they were probably swollen. There was definitely some corrosion in there, so that wasn't helping. Also, it looks like whoever rebuilt these carbs before me used a cheap aftermarket kit, so I'm also wondering if that cheap kit came with seats that just had really bad fitment

Yeah, must have been a cheap knock-off Needle Valve because those Carbs look clean and corrosion free, unlike this one...

Carburetor Sand Packed.jpgCarburetor with Sea Shells.jpg

Yeah mine were surprisingly clean even before I put them through the ultrasonic. That one from your pic on the other hand.... I don't even know if that's save-able lol, those look pretty rough. Did that ski sink in saltwater or something?

Definitely a Saltwater Casualty. Not mine. I don't treat my Skis that way.

Just some examples of some mistreated and neglected Carbs to make my point.

I liked the screw idea, but I don't have a slide hammer. I ended up putting a screw into them just far enough where it was gripping, clamping the carb down to the bench, protecting the carb body with a towel and then prying the screw + seat out with the claw end of a regular hammer.

Weird how tough this was, I've rebuilt carbs a few times before on my other skis and they've always just come right out no problem.
I would have hit it with a crap load of deep creep, then tried. If that didn't work, throw it in the freezer and maybe tap on it with a hammer and punch a bit. Cold contracts & could have loosened it up a bit.

Back