Need help with sportjet 240 replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryceheinz

Just bought a islandia with a 240hp mercury engine. There is a hole in the block. What are my options for other engine swaps to replace it? Any shops I should use should I choose to have it rebuilt?

Any merc dealer can get you a remand block.i would go with the same 240 efi as the blocks are all the same that would fit.your trouble is going to find someone to do the work.what state are you in?

So my challenger with 240 efi has hole in #6 piston. OEM power head is available from Merc and Ebay has a guy who refurbishes power heads for less but the labor to do the job would total to more than what the boat is worth? So anybody want a project Challenger?? My guys don't want to do the labor. It's a shame because everything else works great. Good luck my local guy labor was about $3,000.

The way I look at it would be not what the boat is worth but how much to replace the boat.if it's clean and the pump etc is good I would pull the trigger.then you know you could get another 20 years out of a 4000 dollar repair.

The way I look at it would be not what the boat is worth but how much to replace the boat.if it's clean and the pump etc is good I would pull the trigger.then you know you could get another 20 years out of a 4000 dollar repair.
I get alot of guys rebuilding there older machines.im finishing up a 98 spx right now fuel system rave valves and bellows went thru the pump motor has perfect leak down.his bill is 2200 bucks and he is happy as a pig in slop.got a fun good running machine for a 1/16 of the price of a new one

Unfortunately the power head is more than $1,000. My boat would be a great project if you provide your own labor - I guess its not too hard to swap out engine, but I have no garage to pull engine. My jet boat would do 50 mph easy and it gave me and grandkids great fun for 10 years.

Unfortunately the power head is more than $1,000. My boat would be a great project if you provide your own labor - I guess its not too hard to swap out engine, but I have no garage to pull engine. My jet boat would do 50 mph easy and it gave me and grandkids great fun for 10 years.
Where is the boat located and how much you want for it as is?

Comes with excellent Sea Doo trailer with replaced tires and rims, boat was analized by Mercury Dealer and winterized. Located next to Albany New York. $1,500 or best offer. I have not advertised yet. Lots of pictures if interested.

Comes with excellent Sea Doo trailer with replaced tires and rims, boat was analized by Mercury Dealer and winterized. Located next to Albany New York. $1,500 or best offer. I have not advertised yet. Lots of pictures if interested.
Shoot me a pm with some pictures. I’m in Cleveland

Any merc dealer can get you a remand block.i would go with the same 240 efi as the blocks are all the same that would fit.your trouble is going to find someone to do the work.what state are you in?
I can do the work. I should have stated that I was more so looking for an engine supplier vs a shop to do the labor. I’m a diesel technician for a living so this little 2 stroke is easy. I have it inside my heated shop as well. I saw reman engines around 6k but that’s more than double what I’d expect a long block to cost

So here are pictures of my boat for sale. The blemish on floor has never been a problem. The stiching on rear seats has come apart. I did see refurbished powerheads on Ebay for less monies than $6.

Attachments

• R front.jpg
    R front.jpg
    629.5 KB · Views: 10
  • left front.jpg
    left front.jpg
    680.1 KB · Views: 10
  • R rear.jpg
    R rear.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 10
  • left rear.jpg
    left rear.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Cockpit.jpg
    Cockpit.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 10
  • bow seats.jpg
    bow seats.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 14
  • Rear seats.jpg
    Rear seats.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 14
  • L front w cover.jpg
    L front w cover.jpg
    730.8 KB · Views: 12
I can do the work. I should have stated that I was more so looking for an engine supplier vs a shop to do the labor. I’m a diesel technician for a living so this little 2 stroke is easy. I have it inside my heated shop as well. I saw reman engines around 6k but that’s more than double what I’d expect a long block to cost

Look on this site for Dr. Honda's rebuild of his engine that had a hole in the block. If all your cylinder bores are in reasonable condition, it might be worth the welding if you can do the rest of the work. Welding + about $1400 in parts.

Yes I agree but my dealership does not want to do the job - states the labor costs he would charge me is out of site. So this is an excellent project for someone who wants a terrific jet boat that goes 50 mph and can do the job themselves. My dealer only wants to buy an OEM power head to swap out. Anyone willing to do the job? I will gladly have you talk to my dealer who inspected the engine. everything else worked ok on the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back