need help with engine size

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerm

Hi all new to this forum.
bought a 05 rxt with a supposed tied up engine. fellow i bought it off of said he was idling into a marina and it just stopped.
super charger looks good spins freely so took engine out and tore it down engine block all blued got hotter then hell. bolts sheared off the front magneto/flywheel what ever ya want to call it. so decided on a different motor. question is does anyone know of a chart that shows the EIN and what motor it is. I have the Ein number on my machine and another engine i am wanting to buy. pretty sure mine is a 215 just want to be sure that the one i am looking at is a 215 and not a 185.

any advice or thoughts would be greatly appriciated
Thanks

Supercharger should not spin freely when in the ski. You probably don't need a new motor just when the flywheel bolts shear which does happen. Show some pics of what everything looks like and I can be of more help.

All 4tec motor blocks are basically the same with only a few minor differences. However, there are differences in crank timing, head oil ports, pistons, camshafts, etc between some of the years. Yours is a 215 but any pre 2006 4tec will be an easy swap for you. Newer motors will also work but will need some minor modifications. I would worry much more about the condition than I would the year of the new motor you are looking to purchase.

There is no chart that I am aware of that identifies EIN but it is not necessary. If you show me pics of the engine, I can tell you what it is and what will need to be done to make it work in your ski.

just arrived in Florida this engine is a 185 mine is a 215 the the front cover electronics in mine was wasted. he gave me a front cover but do not know for sure if its for the185 or 215. what all would i need to convert this

The 185 and the 215 have some differences like pistons, flywheel teeth(supercharger), driveshaft diameter, fuel pressure, rpm limiter(ecu), etc.

We need to know the year of the 185 motor especially if it is 2006 and older. It can be converted but need all the info on exactly what it is since there were changes between years.

If you just had flywheel bolts shear, you should only have to replace everything in the pto housing and timing chain. The biggest problem with swapping a 185 to 215 are the pistons, cast instead of forged. I know people have run the cast pistons at 215 but I wouldn't recommend it.

sorry for the late reply have been in Florida on vacation and just arrived home on Sunday. just to clarify a couple things. the super charger spins free out of the engine some one had told me to check it with a inch pound torque wrench while in the engine and if i remember right it was like 4" pounds the original motor. when i tore it down the crank seemed to have seized up and as every thing in the lower half looked like it got really hot.

the flywheel and teeth are different on these two motors original gear is good but the flywheel is wasted the new one has a different part number stamped on it so i'm not sure if that will swap out.

i was hoping to use this 185 and get my wife's ski back on the water for her. she does not drive it hard or fast so i'm hoping the rpm and pistons are not an issue.

original motor was date stamped 03/2005 and the used one i picked up is date stamped 09/2004

any assistance you can give me with this would be greatly appreciated.

Supercharger clutch slipping moment can be bench tested with a support plate and gear holder or on engine with a cam locking tool.

New supercharger 80lbf*in to 124lbf*in

Break-in supercharger 71lbf*in to 106lbf*in

i will check the super charger after i figure out which parts i need to swap to make the 185 work in my 215 ski thanks fot the info on the proper way to test it. i also need to find out if this supercharger needs a rebuild. Do not know if the washers were changed out or not. at this point i know i need to change the gear on the front do not know for sure what else.

Thanks for your reply

If you need to change the gear on the front the rest might be in similar condition.

Snowing here in Ohio today so decided to see what i could come up with. From sifting through plenty of pages on various different web forums and google I believe i know what i need to do for this 185 engine to go into my 05 215 rxt.
I read on a few pages that i should use arp bolts? to hold the 215 flywheel on the 185 engine. also need to purchase some gaskets and someone mentioned a new oil sender (dont know why unless it was a bad design or something) another mentioned that you should replace the oil pump with a new design?
Also need to figure out how to tell if my super charger was rebuilt and if it would be better to send it somewhere to be rebuilt or if i can just and suggest a place that is reputable to rebuild it or buy the 50.00 tool kit and do it myself.
best place to purchase parts at the top of this page? in the performance parts and sea-doo parts tabs?
going to tear my 215 down and check out the pistons and may re-ring them and use them if they are in good condition.
and any other suggestions if what i should replace would be appreciated

Thanks for any input

Opening up the supercharger is easy with the proper tools. Lots of youtube videos how to do it, or just following the repair manual. Key is to be gentle and pay attention in correct assembling and checking the clutch slipping moment. No idea why you check pistons and re- ring them, you must be a 2 stroke dirt biker too. My suggestion is that if you decide to tear everything apart to follow the repair manual. This mention measuring, and if the values are within specifications there is no need to replace them. For the flywheel, rockers and cylinder head bolts, they are stretch bolts and need to be replaced, some like ARP if you like studs instead of bolts. All depends your budget and taste.

All too often I get engines here to fix where stretch bolts have been re-used leading to catastrophic engine failures. Stretch bolts are cheap.

If you do the tear down, take pictures or video and measurements. If you ever want to sell it, it is good evidence of what has been done on the engine.

thanks for the reply rikki The 185 used cast iron pistons and the 215 used forged. so was thinking of switching it to the forged but if its like everything else internally in this engine they are probably trashed as well.

Think i have pretty much everything figured out and close to ready to go in. Only issue I belive I have right now is the secondary oil pump. It is a different style then the 185 and my inter cooler tube is right into the back of the pump housing and once again my original one is grooved really bad and can not be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back