Need a little help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbelt

So I was out riding, well I lost power still ran but I had to putt back to the dock. and when I checked the motor I had oil splattered all over. Wondering if you guys think it’s the exhaust gasket or if them black round deals are causing it. (Sorry I don’t know their correct name)

IMG_0125.JPG

So it would be the exhaust gasket that failed if the plugs are good??
the exhaust gasket has already failed, it could be a combination of the two. How do the plugs look? When you removed the seat was there a strong smell of exhaust gasses? Or you just fouled the plugs and slapping some new ones in there would work too. Did it sound like it was only running on one cylinder?

What condition is the rave bellows in on your mag (front) cylinder?

The black round thing. It has a flexible rubber bellows under the cap. Hold the black cap down on the motor and slide that metal retainer to the side. After the retainer us removed slowly let the cap rise up, it has a spring under it that will push the cap up, do not let the spring drop under the motor.

Once the cap is removed you will be able to see if that oily mess is coming out of the bellows.

The plugs do not look terrible. Do a compression check on the motor.

Last edited:
The lower part of the bellows can be pulled up off the metal lip it stretches over, this will let the exhaust mess out. The belows can also fail. You need to remove the caps to get the bellows out. Just spin the caps off like a jar lid.

If that was keeping the rave valve from opening then, in theory, you could have had the two cylinders fighting each other. That would keep the motor from making good power. I'm not saying this is your running problem, but we did find a broken part.

Those caps are only supposed to be turned in snug by hand even though they have that 10mm head on them. That cap needs to be replaced. They do make higher quality, aftermarket, aluminum caps. The OEM ones work fine as long as they are not overtightened.

Any indication as to why it failed?

Looked like previous owner had tightened too tight , at least too me that’s what I’m thinking , front was way tighter then the back one

Usually u get a hole in the rubber. You can usually see oil on the rubber bellow where the black oil is coming from. I dont see any hole on your picture, just the plastic top. Like I said my xp gets oil splatter as well and is new every thing, I melted a few caps but haven't recently. Sometimes the head of the cylinder where the rave valve goes up and down has to much play and the exhaust gases and oil find a way through. I never get it on short rides but if I kill a tank of gas in one ride I get oil splatters on 1 of the cylinder valves. Again I think it is escaping from the valve housing.

It's even possible that your exhaust gasket is leaking and spraying the mix from your leaking rav valves?

First you need to replace the o-rings on the RAVE shafts as they let hot gas by and that is what probably made the holes in the cap. Also replace the RAVE paper gaskets. Chances this is where all your black spooge is coming from.

Second you need to replace the headpipe gasket. All that copper silicone is a mess and all that silicone could be blocking the coolant passages..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back