My turn to repair leaking head pipe

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JJinSC

Well, I found one of the plugs in the head pipe leaking, so tried fixing for the season with JB weld. The good news is that stopped the plug leak. The bad news is there is a worse leak from the gasket between the manifold and the head pipe.
So off the head pipe must come. Since I have to take it off anyways, I’m going to go ahead and get the plug welded too.

My question, should I split the pipe or try and take the head pipe/cone pipe off as one unit? Is the brass washer reusable?

Last edited:
Definitely 1 piece,,,will save you some aggravation in the long run,,,,that’s just me…

Any other input on this job? Things to look out for? Is the brass washer at the coupling reusable?

I always split them and yes the copper washer is reusable. You just put Ultra Copper RTV on the copper washer.

On Friday evening, I prepared to split the pipe. Took the coupler off and the seal was so good on the joint, it did not want to let go. I ended up taking the other two bolts loose and removing it as one unit. Note: I had to loosen the screws on the high voltage box a swing it just out of the way. I guess it was a good thing because the rubber bushings where the cone pipe mounts to engine were worn about slap out. I also found the bolt missing on the head pipe dampener mount. It sheared off and part of it is still in the head pipe. I ordered new gasket, bushings and bolt. Should I worry about trying to remove that broken bolt? Now to find a welder that will grind off my JB weld fix and weld this welch plug.

Anyone have any input on weather I should worry about removing the stripped bolt for the head pipe dampener? Here is a picture

IMG_4388.jpg

Yes, you need all the pipe mounts to be secure and correct or you will break the remaining bolts. The pipes are heavy and actually act as vibration dampers.

I dropped off pipe at welder today. They are going to weld up that plug and remove the sheered bolt for me. I am having a very difficult time getting parts for this model now. What are the rest of you doing for parts?

Pipe weld turned out great and got the bolt removed. Parts should be in today. I have another question.

With a good gasket and clean mating surfaces, do I need to apply any gasket sealant on the new gasket when re-installing the head pipe??

Do any of you put anything on the mating surface when re-applying the arrester housing to the carbs?

Ok, I have about all back together. Getting that cone pipe back into that rubber coupler for the exhaust pipe was not fun.

Another question, how tight for the head pipe bolts on the manifold? Because of the welch plugs I cannot get the socket hex on but one to use a torque wrench.

Edit: also, how tight on the dampener bushing bolts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back