My 2012 GTR sucked up debris. Getting overheat warnings (off and on)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebo22

I’ve sucked up small debris before. I usually shut it off and restart, and then you feel that the power is back to normal (no big deal). Yesterday I felt that engine rev up as I went over small debris (probably floating sticks). I didn’t have to shut the engine off. It was as I was accelerating and the engine revved then basically spit it out, it felt like.

I was able to hit top speed, but then my check engine and exhaust overheating warning began to over heat. I stopped and took the seat off, and poured a couple cups of water on the bug silver (intake?) pipe. The water would sizzle and evaporate (it was hot). I did it a few times until it cooled it off… Within ten minutes I started up and all warning lights were off. I went top speed to the nearest dock (a 5 minute ride). I stayed there for an hour. Once I tried to restart all warnings came back up. I started that same process of pouring water on the intake pipe (same scenario… it was hot!)

This time I waited 2 hours. I put my seat on and same scenario again. All warning lights were off. This time I rode for a good 10-15 minutes back to my home dock. It was getting dark, so I couldn’t stay out much longer to test to see if warnings would come back.

So basically I’m wondering if any of you have advice for me.???? Should take her out again on a hot day and see if the warnings come back???? Do I need a system flush? One guy I spoke to says I need a system flush, but when I spoke to him was at the time the problems were happening. Of course as of my last run on the ski last night, all problems were gone (for a 2nd time).

Any help or advice, or anybody with a similar experience to share would be greatly appreciated. Also, what hour mark do you guys recommend for a supercharger rebuild?

Thank you!!!

Do a good flush of the engine while on the hose. When flushing, the water runs in reverse and literally flushes the raw water system. When on the hose, the engine will NOT be cooled. It will flush the exhaust, the impeller area and the tube that feeds the exhaust from the impeller. If you were to have a Inter Cooler it would flush that as well.

I am thinking you have debris in the cooling hose and or the exhaust itself.

While running on the hose the CS (Carbon Seal) will NOT be cooled. You should not run for more than a minute or so at a time.

And very important,,,, it goes like this. Engine on, Water on, Water off, Engine off.
If you do it the wrong way you can force water into the engine and cause it to lock up.

You have a lot of hoses and pickups to clean out. I'm not up to date on everything for these model years. However, I certainly wouldn't run it on the water again until you've figured out every possible cooling intake path and cleaned it out by tools or hand.

I certainly wouldn't run it on the water again until you've figured out every possible cooling intake path and cleaned it out by tools or hand.

If you do run it on the water (not the hose but a lake for example), you will be pushing anything that is causing the issue deeper into the system..

This is why I feel you should do the FLUSH,, hopefully it will come back out..
It can be something as small as tiny piece of plastic,,

Do a good flush of the engine while on the hose. When flushing, the water runs in reverse and literally flushes the raw water system. When on the hose, the engine will NOT be cooled. It will flush the exhaust, the impeller area and the tube that feeds the exhaust from the impeller. If you were to have a Inter Cooler it would flush that as well.

I am thinking you have debris in the cooling hose and or the exhaust itself.

While running on the hose the CS (Carbon Seal) will NOT be cooled. You should not run for more than a minute or so at a time.

And very important,,,, it goes like this. Engine on, Water on, Water off, Engine off.
If you do it the wrong way you can force water into the engine and cause it to lock up.

Thanks for the advice, Joe. I just did a 75 second system flush ( i watched a youtube video first and did the order you and others suggested). i gave it a rev at the end. No check engine or temp lights came on. What do u think? a water test next?

You have a lot of hoses and pickups to clean out. I'm not up to date on everything for these model years. However, I certainly wouldn't run it on the water again until you've figured out every possible cooling intake path and cleaned it out by tools or hand.

thanks for the advice. look at my reply to Joe. what do u think of it?

Thanks for the advice, Joe. I just did a 75 second system flush ( i watched a youtube video first and did the order you and others suggested). i gave it a rev at the end. No check engine or temp lights came on. What do u think? a water test next?

Yep,,, thats the next step...

You may have some damage to the wear ring. If so, you will have full engine performance but lack performance at the jet. We will cross that bridge after the test ride..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back