MPEM conversion worth it?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guidbro

Boat: 95 Speedster twin 657

Although both motors fire up, the 5amp fuse in my MPEM continues to blow. I also had a short to ground in one stator. I repaired the wire and replaced the bown fuse. Both motors fired and sounded good. But after I checked the fuse and it was blown. Does this fuse only control the gauges? Or does it affect more?

I'm going to replace the stator to be safe at this point. But is replacing the entire MPEM necessary? If i was just living without the gauges for a while that's not to big of a deal.

Is doing the conversion worth the extra cost? As I can likely have the diode repaired locally cheap or free and have a spare mpem if I buy a working mpem as a stock unit.

I know there are a few questions here, any advice would be helpful.

wow. i cant imagine incurring the cost for such an old boat unless absolutely necessary.

i really don't know what the 5 amp fuse is for, but if in your case it only kills the gages, why don't you troubleshoot the gage circuit? sounds like you might have a short in there somewhere.

it kind of sounds like you are in effect considering changing out the fuse box when it sounds like your problem is somewhere downstream.

wow. i cant imagine incurring the cost for such an old boat unless absolutely necessary.

i really don't know what the 5 amp fuse is for, but if in your case it only kills the gages, why don't you troubleshoot the gage circuit? sounds like you might have a short in there somewhere.

it kind of sounds like you are in effect considering changing out the fuse box when it sounds like your problem is somewhere downstream.

Apparently bad MPEM is a super common problem on these. So that's the reason. I am going to remove the MPEM and attempt to repair the blown diodes, if that fails I'll have to buy a new one.

Rebuild the MPEM there are several places on this board to have it done. You will wind up with 2 keys but I think it is worth it if you like the boat.

Rebuild the MPEM there are several places on this board to have it done. You will wind up with 2 keys but I think it is worth it if you like the boat.

Im replaced the diodes. Should be gtg. We will see if that fixed the problem in a few weeks when I can work on the boat. I havent seen anything about rebuilding the entire MEPEM or why that would be necessary. As far as the keys, im not sure I have DESS and I dont think replacing blown diodes would affect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back