MPEM Compatibility

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkov608

Does anyone have an MPEM compatibility list? In the past I've installed a 2005 MEPM in my old 2002 ski and it worked great (until it failed last week); the only difference I noticed is the buzzer would beep 4 times in rapid succession instead of twice and "Sensor" would flash in the information center because the 2002 model didn't have a depth sensor. I see very limited availability on the 2002 part number.

I pulled down the schematic for a 2003 GTX 4-Tec (saw a 2003 MPEM on Ebay) and the electronics are identical between the normally aspirated engine and the supercharged model, and there is only one part number listed for both types of engines. The only difference between the 2003 and the 2002 is there is one more wire between the ECU and the diagnostic port and another wire going from the diagnostic port to the MPEM.

ECU B24 to Diagnostic port Pin 6
Diagnostic port Pin 4 to MPEM 1-5

There are no details on the schematic for the purpose of these two wires, but the other four connections between the diagnostic port and the MEPM are identical.

MPEMs are getting harder and harder to find and Ebayers know it because the prices are crazy!

Last edited:
Does anyone have an MPEM compatibility list? In the past I've installed a 2005 MEPM in my old 2002 ski and it worked great (until it failed last week); the only difference I noticed is the buzzer would beep 4 times in rapid succession instead of twice and "Sensor" would flash in the information center because the 2002 model didn't have a depth sensor. I see very limited availability on the 2002 part number.

I pulled down the schematic for a 2003 GTX 4-Tec (saw a 2003 MPEM on Ebay) and the electronics are identical between the normally aspirated engine and the supercharged model, and there is only one part number listed for both types of engines. The only difference between the 2003 and the 2002 is there is one more wire between the ECU and the diagnostic port and another wire going from the diagnostic port to the MPEM.

ECU B24 to Diagnostic port Pin 6
Diagnostic port Pin 4 to MPEM 1-5

There are no details on the schematic for the purpose of these two wires, but the other four connections between the diagnostic port and the MEPM are identical.

MPEMs are getting harder and harder to find and Ebayers know it because the prices are crazy!
Hi , when you say the MPEM failed ..... what specifically has gone wrong with it internally ?

Well, we're a little off topic, but the new owners of the skis let them sit in water and the one they are having problems with got flooded (MPEM connectors under water); I pulled the MPEM, cleaned all the electrical connections, applied Deoxit to the pins etc. The problem is Pin B15 (Mode switch) is so corroded that it is actually eroded away and no longer make contact with the harness connector. So, the mode and set buttons don't work. Pin retention on the harness side is good. I also took my IPA terminal connector cleaners to the harness side and cleaned those.

There's no beep when you connect the lanyard to the DESS post, the fuel gauge doesn't work, the RPM gauge is intermittent, the LED display was flashing "check eng", and the red warning LED was constantly flashing. When I swapped in the sister-ski MEPM in, all those problems disappeared.

The MPEM electronics are encased in an epoxy resin, so I don't think there is anyone out there who knows what goes wrong with the internal circuitry.

I used to own these skis and still work on them because the new owners don't know how. It makes me sad to see what's happened to them. They were in mint condition when I sold them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back