Low voltage code

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Robert wilson

I have a 2007 seadoo rxp 215 with 140 hours on it has for the last year always said low voltage after start up then went away second later. A few days ago it actually had the low voltage code come on and alarm. Brought home checked batter it’s at 12.4 and 14.2so I checked stator and checked ohms and I’m reading 0.8 and 0.9 which is in spec hook it to computer and it says only 11.4 volts. I tried different machines voltage rectifier and didn’t change any really other then when running was reading 14.5 on the battery I had voltage on fuse but while not running the top of the fuse holder has 4.5 lots still and this was measured with volt meter with out fuse in and while not running also I checked the wire to stator and they are fine the ohmed out fine.

If battery at 12.4 and only reading 11.4 through computer, it suggest there is a 1 volt drop which seems very high for what is likely a low current circuit.

Based on this there are at least two possibilities that come to mind.
1. Poor electrical continuity through the wiring circuit (corrosion, poor connections, etc)
And/or
2. Calibration differences between voltmeter and computer readings.

It’s common to do a voltage drop test for starters, but I’ve also used this for low current circuits with success. The principle is the same only looking for much smaller voltage drops. This test measures the voltage along the conductor while under load. Ideally the meter would read 0.0 volts, but if there a poor connection this may read 0.3 volts. Voltage will go up with more resistance in the conductor. Where the probes are place is important as a difference can be detected between battery post and the battery terminal. It’s a highly effective test method and there are a number of good videos demonstrating how it is performed.

Back