looking into a 4stoke opinions needed !!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

elpalletero82

i have a 96 xp and its a blast to ride but im wanting to get into something faster and better for long rides...i think i want a 3 seater the gtx and rxt i beleave ? whats the difference between the two ? also is there any years that are better than the other and years that lemons came out ? obvisouly the newer the better but im looking for a used one...are the 2003 and 2004 the same as the 2005 and 2006 ? thanks in advance for the help fellas !:coolgleam:

Well I know the RXT is a cadillac of seadoos. I work on an 05 for a friend of mine and the thing has all sorts of power and speed. Tows people on inflatables like they weren't even there, holds two or three people with ease (depending on size of person of course), and is very stable in the water. I also work on an 02 GXT, but it's not supercharged. It still is a good machine, just not as fast.

Be aware of some of the "glitches" in production years. The older machines have hollow valves that CAN fail. It's not guaranteed but they have been known to, especially if they get corroded from lack of proper winterization or if the ski spent a lot of time in the salt water without being fogged or flushed properly after. Also the older machines had ceramic washers in the superchargers which are known to fail as well. If the s/c has been rebuilt on a machine you are looking at buying just be sure to ask if it has the upgraded steel washers. If it hasnt been rebuilt and it's before 08 I believe it is it most likely has the ceramic washers.

That's all I can think of. From a mechanic's standpoint, the 4-Tec Rotax motors are an incredible motor and will give years of solid performance and stability if they are maintained well.

Everything Duane said is spot-on!

I checked my '06 RXT, and it in fact has solid steel exhaust valves according to the numbers on the exhaust valve stems. Apparently sometime in '06 they discontinued use of the hollow sodium filled exhaust valves. Early '06 models had the hollow valves, as did the '05 and at least some '04 year models.

All the mid-2000 year model superchargers came with those blasted ceramic slip-washers, but they are easy to replace with steel upgrades yourself and not very expensive. All mid-2000 year model Superchargers require 100 hr full rebuilds by design. Otherwise they're great deals and a real blast to ride! I'm partial to the black hull red/gold/green trimmed models myself, I think they have a better look to them. RXT's were 1st released in '04 or '05 if I'm not mistaken, and they are nice just nice size watercraft lots of room I love mine! :)

- Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back