Looking for VTS "the trim fix" installation instructions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I just picked up my first PWC its a 1997 Seadoo SPX, engine compression is great everything works with the exception of the VTS and fuel gauge, fuel gauge has been narrowed down to a faulty gauge as I tested the sending unit and replaced to the new style float. VTS however, is giving me more trouble; I have replaced the motor, sliding block, and new boot and plastic clamps, it now functions and goes all the way up and down however in doing so it is blowing my 7.5A Fuse; upon some inspection of the gauge I believe that my reed switches are fried. When I bought the ski the previous owner gave me "the trim fix and gauge fix" however he did not have the instructions on how to install them and my knowledge with electricals is very limited so I was hoping that if anyone has a copy of the instructions on how to install the gauge fix and the trim fix I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Hi I just picked up my first PWC its a 1997 Seadoo SPX, engine compression is great everything works with the exception of the VTS and fuel gauge, fuel gauge has been narrowed down to a faulty gauge as I tested the sending unit and replaced to the new style float. VTS however, is giving me more trouble; I have replaced the motor, sliding block, and new boot and plastic clamps, it now functions and goes all the way up and down however in doing so it is blowing my 7.5A Fuse; upon some inspection of the gauge I believe that my reed switches are fried. When I bought the ski the previous owner gave me "the trim fix and gauge fix" however he did not have the instructions on how to install them and my knowledge with electricals is very limited so I was hoping that if anyone has a copy of the instructions on how to install the gauge fix and the trim fix I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Attached.

Attachments

• Gauge Sensor.jpg
    Gauge Sensor.jpg
    680.3 KB · Views: 254
  • Instructions.jpg
    Instructions.jpg
    777 KB · Views: 287
A word of advice by the way: the trim fix works for sure and if you follow the instructions and file off the end of the worm/screw gear, it won't bottom out when you put the trim all the way down but nothing stops it from screwing right off the end of the gear when you put the trim all the way up. You have to watch the gauge very carefully and once it flips up, stop, or it gets stuck in the up position. You have to pull the motor off and reset the trim to centre position and reinstall the motor if you do this.

A word of advice by the way: the trim fix works for sure and if you follow the instructions and file off the end of the worm/screw gear, it won't bottom out when you put the trim all the way down but nothing stops it from screwing right off the end of the gear when you put the trim all the way up. You have to watch the gauge very carefully and once it flips up, stop, or it gets stuck in the up position. You have to pull the motor off and reset the trim to centre position and reinstall the motor if you do this.
Understood, thank you very much, just one question regarding the "travel collar limit installation" where does it go?.. it looks like a white ring not sure where I'm supposed to place it.

Understood, thank you very much, just one question regarding the "travel collar limit installation" where does it go?.. it looks like a white ring not sure where I'm supposed to place it.

If I recall, you have the option of filing down the last turn of the screw gear -OR- using the collar and they recommend the filing approach. I filed and never used that collar. Seriously, it's pretty easy (it's PVC or vinyl, not metal, takes like 5 minutes to file it).

If I recall, you have the option of filing down the last turn of the screw gear -OR- using the collar and they recommend the filing approach. I filed and never used that collar. Seriously, it's pretty easy (it's PVC or vinyl, not metal, takes like 5 minutes to file it).
Makes sense, so just file the last turn? ... sorry for asking too many questions regarding that, I don't seem to see it in the instructions.

Makes sense, so just file the last turn? ... sorry for asking too many questions regarding that, I don't seem to see it in the instructions.

I'm going by memory again but if I recall (I'm 90% sure here), you file it down to 7/8 of an inch from the end of the gear. The inventor's email is at the bottom of both of those files I uploaded. He is super helpful and returned my emails promptly. The only reason I have these files is because my eyesight is horrible and I couldn't read the originals that came with the kit. I'm pretty sure he sent the digital copies within a few hours of me emailing him.

Again though, I'm pretty confident in the 7/8" from the end of the gear. Just file down that last little bit of thread, sloping/transitioning it down to smooth (you don't wan't a step in the thread, it needs to slope nicely down to flush).

I'm going by memory again but if I recall (I'm 90% sure here), you file it down to 7/8 of an inch from the end of the gear. The inventor's email is at the bottom of both of those files I uploaded. He is super helpful and returned my emails promptly. The only reason I have these files is because my eyesight is horrible and I couldn't read the originals that came with the kit. I'm pretty sure he sent the digital copies within a few hours of me emailing him.

Again though, I'm pretty confident in the 7/8" from the end of the gear. Just file down that last little bit of thread, sloping/transitioning it down to smooth (you don't wan't a step in the thread, it needs to slope nicely down to flush).
Perfect thank you very much, I emailed Todd waiting for a reply maybe he can send me those instructions.

I have filed quite a few down. I like to take a little more at a time until you get continuous spin at the bottom with a little click to it. If you file too much it will still work in the water because the nozzle tries to center itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back