Looking for advice on purchasing my first Spark!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Simmeltron

Hi all,
I'm new to the forums but I'm very excited and ready to make my first PWC purchase. I rode my buddies Spark, loved it, and decided I'm ready to join the club. ;)

However, I could use some experienced advice while making sure that I make the right purchase. I found what I believe is a solid deal on a brand new never ridden red 2017 2up w/ ibr convenience package. They want 5500 for it. First, is this a good deal??

Second I want to make sure that this year is going to be enough for me as far as technology goes. I believe the extended VTS is supported by 2017 and later, correct? I definitely want the extended specifically and would install it myself so that shouldn't be a significant upgrade in price (200?). Ideally I'd also get the extended handlebars but that's not a deal-breaker if I don't get that immediately.

Down the road soon I'd even like to turn it into a 3up and get the more comfortable seat as well. I've read a couple of threads were people did that for 3-500 ish??

I feel like the 5500 base price would give me some wiggle room to customize it quite nicely and still keep the price reasonable. Course I'd need a trailer as well I have to factor that in.

If anybody would be willing to let me know if this is a solid deal and if the 2017 has any other significant differences from the 18s and/or 19s (aside from color schemes), I would greatly appreciate it!!

TIA!!

buy a spark Trixx- most fun you'll ever have on any ski!
Oh I know I would lol. My only issue is the price of the Trixx.... if I could find an excellent deal on a new or lightly used one I would most likely pull the trigger. But $5500 on a brand new 2017 2up with IBR convenience package is tempting and would give me the budget to add on those Trixx features....

Or can someone point me in the right direction of a 3up Trixx for a killer price?? ;)

Ultimately, I am just looking for info... as I understand it, 2017 and later is what supports extended VTS. I'm wondering what other changes have occurred in 17, 18, 19 models that would gravitate me towards a newer model??

Thanks!

But $5500 on a brand new 2017 2up with IBR convenience package is tempting and would give me the budget to add on those Trixx features....

Well, that deal just disappeared from Craigslist... so I'm back to searching.... thinking I'm going to focus more on getting a 3up... will be easier to justify? lol... still looking for any advice anyone is willing to share on this process!

TIA!

buy a spark Trixx- most fun you'll ever have on any ski!

Read the whole thread so far (congrats and welcome!) and,

I gotta +1 the above recommendation.

Like you, I was ready to get a Spark LAST Summer (2018) BUT! reading (a crap load) of threads on lots of forums, I am soooooooooooooooo glad I held off and saved my duckets each month. (In my haste last summer, I’d forgotten the need for a trailer and that was another “wake up” call I should slow my roll a bit. But, it’s so danged HARD!)

Anyway, what a difference a couple hundred each month makes, August ‘18 thru Jan, ‘19! Signed a 2-up TRixx purchase contract in Feb for a March delivery date which gave me the time I needed to save a bit more for the Riva Top Loader Intake Grate AND Riva Racing Sponsons (2 additional items I reflect upon EVERY dang time I am out on this thing now and am glad I bit the bullet and waited and saved a bit more)!

Best o’ Success, whichever direction you decide to go in!!!!!

Read the whole thread so far (congrats and welcome!) and,

I gotta +1 the above recommendation.

Like you, I was ready to get a Spark LAST Summer (2018) BUT! reading (a crap load) of threads on lots of forums, I am soooooooooooooooo glad I held off and saved my duckets each month. (In my haste last summer, I’d forgotten the need for a trailer and that was another “wake up” call I should slow my roll a bit. But, it’s so danged HARD!)

Anyway, what a difference a couple hundred each month makes, August ‘18 thru Jan, ‘19! Signed a 2-up TRixx purchase contract in Feb for a March delivery date which gave me the time I needed to save a bit more for the Riva Top Loader Intake Grate AND Riva Racing Sponsons (2 additional items I reflect upon EVERY dang time I am out on this thing now and am glad I bit the bullet and waited and saved a bit more)!

Best o’ Success, whichever direction you decide to go in!!!!!

Mind educating me on the benefit of the intake grate upgrade? I’m new to all this. Better hole shot? Top end? Thanks

Mind educating me on the benefit of the intake grate upgrade? I’m new to all this. Better hole shot? Top end? Thanks

Me? Mind? Why soy-ten-lee! Here ya go!
THE TECHNOLOGY BEHIND TOP LOADER INTAKE GRATES
<snip> “So you want to gain more performance out of your personal watercraft but don’t want to break the bank. Well one of the easiest ways to do so is going to be to install a top loader intake grate. A relatively cheap item, this single part can help increase the performance, handling, and overall efficiency of your watercraft in terms of converting the output energy into usable thrust power.
So how exactly does the intake grate work and how can a top loader design improve performance? This article idea came from the folks at Australian Jetski Parts (AJSP) and we will try to touch on the basics of the technology and operating principles behind these flow devices.
The purpose of an intake grate is to gather the water and supply the pump with a constant uninterrupted stream of water. The pump then of course translates this stream of water into a massive flow rate gain. In other words, it gives us that awesome thrust.” <end snip>

Full Article here: The Technology Behind Top Loader Intake Grates | The Watercraft Journal | the best resource for JetSki, WaveRunner, and SeaDoo enthusiasts and most popular Personal WaterCraft site in the world!

Hope this helps!

Per the article:

Top loader grates have additional scoops to gather and direct water flow upward to otherwise void areas of the pump.
This helps to fill the pump with more water and create more uniform thrust. It gives better performance and handling of your watercraft.

I would like to see a picture of a top loader for a spark and compare it to a non-top loader....

Back