Looking for a little help on 97 XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LSteele

First...I'm brand new to this forum, so if I'm in the wrong place for the questions I have, someone correct me.
Ok - on to the issues: Just bought this 97 XP. Owner had taken it to a shop last year. They replaced the starter, then the magneto (and it looks like a new rectifier/regulator). They got it to crank over, but no spark. They told the owner it probably needed a new MPEM, at which time the owner said no more. Apparently he just gave it to the shop for the work already done. I bought it from the shop.
I expected I'd need to find a good MPEM for it. Now I'm not sure that's what it needs. I just want o do everything I can to diagnose the problem, before I start putting used electronics it. I'm totally new to these DESS systems, so read up what I could.
When I attach the key, I do get 2 beeps. It cranks over fine, but zero spark. So, here's my first question...what next steps should I take in diagnosing? Second question: Can the MPEM be bench tested somehere? I'd like to avoid taking it to a shop again, as long as it's work I can do. Thanks in advance.

PS: forgot to mention...I pulled the MPEM out and it's obviously been changed before, as it has recycler writing on the back identifying what it fits, etc. That could be the issue, but I want to be sure before going that route.

It appears the MPEM is ok by your description.

I would test the ignition coil and the pickup coil in the front engine cover.

You can download the factory service manual, just google seadoomanuals.

It appears the MPEM is ok by your description.

I would test the ignition coil and the pickup coil in the front engine cover.

You can download the factory service manual, just google seadoomanuals.
Thank you. Although that makes perfect sense, I don't have a way to test the pickup coil or coils. And, today I'm not even getting ANY beeps when attaching the key - but it still turns over. I'm thinking it's going to need a shop visit unfortunately. I traced and checked all the wires for power and continuity that I can think of. Not finding anything obviously wrong.

My beeper on my 96 has been intermittent. either way the skis still cranks over. I removed the beeper from its holder and whacked it against the handle bar and then it began working again. I have heard that you can just give them a little love tap and they will start working again but it will occasionally just stop working

Manual says it does have CDI - but it's not a separate unit like earlier models. It's part of the MPEM. Today I did find specs and a vid on checking the entire ignition system. I tested trigger coil, stator, coil primary and secondary, grounds, plug wires. Everything is within specs except the coil secondary - should be between 9k and 15k ohms. It tested at 23k. Now I'm waiting to hear back from a place that bench tests MPEMs, to see what that costs.

My beeper on my 96 has been intermittent. either way the skis still cranks over. I removed the beeper from its holder and whacked it against the handle bar and then it began working again. I have heard that you can just give them a little love tap and they will start working again but it will occasionally just stop working
I guess I'll go give it little love tap - or two. Haha

Manual says it does have CDI - but it's not a separate unit like earlier models. It's part of the MPEM. Today I did find specs and a vid on checking the entire ignition system. I tested trigger coil, stator, coil primary and secondary, grounds, plug wires. Everything is within specs except the coil secondary - should be between 9k and 15k ohms. It tested at 23k. Now I'm waiting to hear back from a place that bench tests MPEMs, to see what that costs.
Post up if you send the MPEM out for a bench test. Good Luck man !!

I would suggest Nick or Jess at Westside powersports for MPEM testing and they can supply you with tested, and guaranteed used parts if you need a coil or something.

Westside Powersports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back