Looking for a 96 XP stock Flame arrestor

Status
Not open for further replies.

girth92

I purchased a 96 XP a couple years ago that had been sitting for over 10 years. It's in generally good condition.. Replaced fuel lines and rebuilt the carbs with Mikuni parts.
It had good compression in both cylinders ang got it running. Problem is it has Ocean Pro flame arrestors and I can't seam to get rid of the 1/4 throttle hesitation. It originally had a pop off pressure of around 34 psi. I changed the needle valve springs and got the pop off pressure to 28 psi but still have the hesitation. I am not sure what jets are in it but I would like to go to the stock flame arrestor assembly and stock jet size. It runs great once you get the revs past the hesitation, am able to get to around
55 mph. Anyone have one for sale? Thanks.

I don't think your problem is the flame arrestors. In the past I have run skis on the water without them while testing. Your hesitation could be the 3 holes in the carb barrel are not flowing properly. 28psi is low pop-off for my taste and the carbs would be on the rich side so when you apply throttle the engine must burn off the excess fuel before it can accelerate. That pop-off pressure does not seem like genuine Mikuni parts. I usually end up with 37psi when I replace the needles seats and spring and the pressure holds as well. The carb rebuild thread posted in the forum is a very good resource. It explains everything.

I don't think your problem is the flame arrestors. In the past I have run skis on the water without them while testing. Your hesitation could be the 3 holes in the carb barrel are not flowing properly. 28psi is low pop-off for my taste and the carbs would be on the rich side so when you apply throttle the engine must burn off the excess fuel before it can accelerate. That pop-off pressure does not seem like genuine Mikuni parts. I usually end up with 37psi when I replace the needles seats and spring and the pressure holds as well. The carb rebuild thread posted in the forum is a very good resource. It explains everything.

They are Mikuni parts, I had 34 psi prior to changing to a lower spring rate searching for a solution. I will try pulling the carbs again and clean them some more. I also need to check the jets to see if they are stock or not. The person I bought this from had it given to him by in-laws and said they raced it.
I don’t know if it had other mods such as a pipe at one time but the engine is stock now other than flame arrestors. I have read the carb thread as well as the OSD carb rebuild info. I would still like to purchase a stock flame arrestor if for no other reason than for better protection against water ingestion and with no other mods there is no performance gain with the Ocean Pro arrestors.

You can't rn stock jetting with an AM air cleaner. It will not run correctly and will be too lean.

You can't rn stock jetting with an AM air cleaner. It will not run correctly and will be too lean.

Any recommendation for jet sizesI?
I still would prefer to go back to stock with it as there is no benefit with the AM air cleaner.
Thanks

Question somewhat related to this. I may want to do the same as OP. Go back to stock flame arrestors on a 96 xp i just bought last weekend. I drive em hard and wet. Haven't driven the new one yet and no idea what other mods have been done except the vortex arrestors.

BUT... will the stock air box/flame arrestor from the 95 xp i have fit this 96 xp? I'm doubtful since I think the carbs are a different size but maybe the mounting is the same. If it does fit, it would help people in searching for the needed parts with more options available.

No, the 720 will not work on the 787.
Also make sure you have the stainless carb brace that goes from the carbs to the head or you will crack the intake manifold.

Westside Powersports Seadoo can hook you up with all the clean used parts you will need at a reasonable price.

Yes it does have the brace on it. It runs hard and responsive so I assume its had the jets changed as well, or is just tuned correctly. Thanks for the response. Shame it wont work since a have a spare airbox etc from a 95 xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back