Looking at getting a 96 Seadoo XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gcextreme

Looking at buying a 1996 Seadoo XP, it appears to be in excellent shape from the seller's photos. Always kept in the garage, supposedly low hours. Graphics and colors look great, no fading.

What do u think its worth? No trailer.
1470794169073.jpg1470794181242.jpg

Hard to judge what your local market price is. But I would say $1200, $1000 or less. Also check what service has been done? Does it still have gray fuel lines, new wear ring? Carbs ever rebuilt? What oil has been ran in it etc..... You can easily sink a few more hundos into it before you hit the water. I would NOT ride it with the gray fuel lines other than a quick water test if the gray fuel lines are still on it. Cheaper the better

According to them its been serviced at my local Sea-Doo dealership Ollies Service every year..and they have only ran 91 premium non-oxy in it. They had it and their other ski out on the lake 2 weeks ago for our local Waterama festival. They are going back to college and need the money for tuition.

Also whats the correct steps to do a compression test on this XP? Do i need to have it in the water?
Ive never done a compression test on a jetski.

Do i unhook both spark plugs and pull them both out, or just pull them one out at a time as i test? How long do i crank it over for? Do i need to have the throttle wide open?

Thanks for any help.

Yes pull both plugs and flip the wires outside the hull so they don't ignite something. Hold it wide open while cranking for up to 5 seconds. The compression it has will display itself in the first couple/few revolutions of the engine. Perfect is 150psi per hole so you don't want to be far from that.

I sell 96XP's all the time for $1500 down here. Most are not as good looking as that one but I do all the service and maintenance and include a nice trailer with it (worth at least $300).

Yeah im looking for a trailer..i either find crappy cheap home made ones, or i find brad new $700 new ones...and then any that are like $300 are like a 3 hour drive, lol.

Yes pull both plugs and flip the wires outside the hull so they don't ignite something. Hold it wide open while cranking for up to 5 seconds. The compression it has will display itself in the first couple/few revolutions of the engine. Perfect is 150psi per hole so you don't want to be far from that.

I sell 96XP's all the time for $1500 down here. Most are not as good looking as that one but I do all the service and maintenance and include a nice trailer with it (worth at least $300).

Really Matt? The spark plug wires go on the grounding plugs whenever cranking without spark plugs to ground the coils and prevent arcing. But you already knew that. LOL. Just giving you the business:thumbsup:

Ok i got it..its in my garage now..got it for $1250.

Should i just premix gas and oil or what?
On my dads boat the premixer thing failed, so he just premixes everything and pours it into his tank..the premixing tank/unit is bypassed.
1470849473338.jpg1470849485314.jpg

Also i had it out on the lake for a bit, opened it up and she ran great. I did a compression test, one did 150..the other did like 148ish.

If it still has oil injection they are super reliable on the seadoo's and no reason to remove it. They do take special API-TC rated synthetic oil though. It should be red or golden brown in color.

The last 2 jugs I bought were red in color. Xps2

That is correct. A few years ago seadoo changes suppliers from Castrol to Redline so the XPS-2 full synthetic changed from golden brown to red.
The Amsoil Interceptor is golden brown and approved.

The big tipoff is is it is green or blue there is a 99% chance it is outboard TCW-2 oil.

I completely drained my system, tank, rotor valve chamber and new lines. 1 gallon filled all the lines, rv chamber and about a third of the oil tank. To top it off is going to take about half a gallon more

Btw, it's 53.00 a gallon here in houston.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are great hulls i owned the green SPX 1996 or 1997 back in 2001 as my very first ski, i owned it for 3 or 4 years and eventually blew the motor trying to water ski behind it ha that was a experience the shops over here at the time could not give u a upfront quote on repairs so back in those days a rebuild cost me over $3000 that's with me pulling and installing new motor

this little SPX absolutely flew along it would have been a as a guess 10-15kph slower than the yamaha GP1200R's

i absolutely loved this little ski it was awesome for jumping 6 foot waves on our coast line in Sydney, Australia

always looking for another X4 hull for cheap but none come up or they are like 800km's away always the case

I completely drained my system, tank, rotor valve chamber and new lines. 1 gallon filled all the lines, rv chamber and about a third of the oil tank. To top it off is going to take about half a gallon more

Btw, it's 53.00 a gallon here in houston.

Amazon is $46.99 with free shipping.

I suggest contacting Pro Caliber out of Oregon because I am getting it way cheaper than that with free shipping but I do buy a lot from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back