looking at a 2003 sportster LE

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

link81

we've been talking about getting a small boat for the family for a while now (we have a small cottage on a local lake), but our trip down to VA to visit my parents really sealed the deal. Knowing that it's summer boat prices are high, so I've been keeping my eye out for projects seeing how I'm very mechanically inclined. (and I do electrical work for a living) I found a 2003 sportster LE that's been sitting quite a while. Last reg was in 2014. I talked to the owner and he told me it has a blown engine, but didn't have any more details as to what or how. Went to look at it today, and it was in really great shape considering what it's been through. It's VERY dirty, but all the glass looked good, and the vinyl was still supple without any evidence of dry rot or cracking. The engine however looked like someone was poking around. The intake was clearly set off to the side and the plugs were nowhere to be found.

I looked all over the block with a light and was unable to see any evidence of parts ejection. I also looked inside the cylinders, they were dirty, but no evidence of damage (through the spark plug hole). There was no battery but I brought a little lithium jump pack, it was enough to get 12v to the system, I was able to get 2 beeps when installing the key, and the bow light works, and the bilge pump makes noise. So at least I know it's somewhat alive.

This boat has the 947 2 stroke motor. looks like a rebuilt one is in the 12-17 range. That's assuming that there isn't something dumb wrong. (carb rebuild, bad coil, bad rave valve ect) The trailer oddly enough looks nearly brand new.

Asking price for the boat is 1k (inc trailer). assuming I can't talk him down and I have to put a new motor in for 1.5k that makes the boat roughy a 3k investment. I would be doing all the labor and going through the entire thing.

seems like a fairly decent deal to me.

also, from what I read it looked like all 947 motors and drivelines are the same wether they're in a ski or boat is that correct? I know the DI ones are a little different, I'm just talking about carb's motors.

Yeah the ski and boat motors are roughly the same.

Sounds like a great price in my ears and lots of fun restoring/repairing [emoji106][emoji3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back