Loctite 518 and Molykote

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakotaly

Is there a good substitute for 518 on the bolts are people using something different? I can't find 518 locally, I can order it but I didn't know if there is something I could just go get. Same goes for molykote 111 mine got lost in shipping and I'm looking for a good local alternative for crank seals, orings, and the bolts. I can find silicone but it is for plumbing and it just doesn't seem like it is good for this application.

You can get permatex 518 or 515 at Napa it’s basically the same. Marine grease will work the same as molykote.

This is some cheap stuff I have laying around. I always see people talking about silicone but will this do? I sadly don't have a Napa anywhere near me. I have autozone and orielly and they only have permatex rtv and some other permatex items.

Attachments

• 20220427_185029.jpg
    20220427_185029.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220427_185016.jpg
    20220427_185016.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 10
That is fine for the grease.

My O'Rielly shows Permatex 518 ready for pick-up in store tomorrow.

What are you putting this stuff on??

I use grease or never-seize on all the bolts on the ski. I generally grease the hell out of the headbolts along the whole body except for the very top. I put a little 518 around the head flange. I use loctite 742 on the jet pump bolt threads. I use a lot of marine grease on these skis.

All the exhaust manifold bolts are coated with copious amounts of marine grease. Down here in the south you can't get skis apart.

Ultra-Gray is my goto silicone as it is fuel/oil resistant. Permatex makes the same stuff as loctite. Same color and all that. Good Luck !!

I was able to track down some permatex 51813 for the crank case bolts and head bolts. I have 1211 for the crank case. Marine grease for antiseize and oring lube. Luckily I'm in the middle of the country about as far from Salt as you can get so I don't have many issues with stuck bolts!

Is there a good substitute for 518 on the bolts are people using something different? I can't find 518 locally, I can order it but I didn't know if there is something I could just go get. Same goes for molykote 111 mine got lost in shipping and I'm looking for a good local alternative for crank seals, orings, and the bolts. I can find silicone but it is for plumbing and it just doesn't seem like it is good for this application.
Here's the cross reference chart from loctite part numbers to permatex. You can pick up permatex at any of the auto parts stores. Just Google it before you go, not every store carries everything
Cross Reference – Permatex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back