Leaving Battery hooked up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering peoples thoughts on leaving the battery hooked up over the winter with a solar trickle charger connected.

Personally, I would disconnect the battery when charging even with a trickle charger. It only takes a few minutes and eliminates any potential issues.

I've had mine on a solar trickle charger for 4 summers and a regular trickle charger for 3 winters with no issues or battery replacements. Although I can't say what the long term effects on the batteries will be but I've never experienced any issues yet.

If you have a single battery I would turn the battery switch to off. Since I have 2 batteries I put the switch on all so both batteries can charge. Something others also say not to do but I've never had an issue keeping 2 batteries charged with a trickle charger either.

Also note I've only had my boat since fall of 2016 so still consider myself not as experienced or knowledgeable as others on this site but just giving my personal experience on using a trickle charger and a solar trickle. I don't do the solar trickle charger over the winter due to snow covering the panels.

I've had mine on a solar trickle charger for 4 summers and a regular trickle charger for 3 winters with no issues or battery replacements. Although I can't say what the long term effects on the batteries will be but I've never experienced any issues yet.

If you have a single battery I would turn the battery switch to off. Since I have 2 batteries I put the switch on all so both batteries can charge. Something others also say not to do but I've never had an issue keeping 2 batteries charged with a trickle charger either.

Also note I've only had my boat since fall of 2016 so still consider myself not as experienced or knowledgeable as others on this site but just giving my personal experience on using a trickle charger and a solar trickle. I don't do the solar trickle charger over the winter due to snow covering the panels.
I guess I should qualify my stance as I don't know where you live. I am in Canada in a climate during winter that will hit -20s Celsius.

My boat will be shrink wrapped and be outside. When it is wrapped, I will have no access to it.

For me, I pull the battery.

If I stored it inside, I would probably leave the battery in it and trickle it.

I guess I should qualify my stance as I don't know where you live. I am in Canada in a climate during winter that will hit -20s Celsius.

My boat will be shrink wrapped and be outside. When it is wrapped, I will have no access to it.

For me, I pull the battery.

If I stored it inside, I would probably leave the battery in it and trickle it.
Western ny. Left in my driveway. But yes we don’t get as cold as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back