Jump started

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chente0313

Hey guys. New to the forum. New to jet skies . I tried jump starting my 97gtx, it Sounded like it wanted to crank over then It just died. Is there a fuse box. Or did I fry the ?

NEVER jump start a Seadoo. Charge battery with cables disconnected. Voltage spikes / over voltage etc will 'fry' MPEM. Remove spark plugs & ground plug wires, then spin motor. Cover plug holes beware of oil from bad rotory valve seals {maybe}.

First get a good battery. Second check all fuses. Third pray you didn't fry the MPEM. 4th never jump start a ski.

Thanks Ill check fuses and charge battery by itself , for being a free jet ski I totally might of screwed it up.

Attachments

• BDBA4C06-ADAC-4413-BD04-E90570AD00E5.jpeg
    BDBA4C06-ADAC-4413-BD04-E90570AD00E5.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 56
my Brothers friend was tired of seeing them, $0.00, now I got a problem I checked the fuses installed fully barged battery , no signs of life , what are the steps on installing MPEM Do I buy one and just plug in or does it have to be programmed. Thanks again

As long as you get a matching DESS key with the MPEM, you will not need to have it programmed. Otherwise you will have to have your current key programmed to match the new MPEM.

GTX has 2 grounds at battery. One big, one small. If the small one (from e-box ) is left off -- no crank.

If it is you’re MPEM, Do not go to eBay to buy the cheap one you’ll find. Only get an OEM on this. Check out Westside Powersports for a good used unit.

As already said, you shouldn't jump start.
However, the MPEM can and may survive if jumped from a well regulated source. Go through troubleshooting before automatically assuming the worst. When I was a noob, I had all 4 of mine survive jumps.
If you don't have a manual, you can get a manual online by searching seadoo manuals.
Use a fully charged battery, then follow the electrical and starting troubleshooting checks.

Press the start button without the key installed and see it the gauges light up for 30 seconds. If they do it is a good sign that your MPEM may be ok. Did you check all the fuses. There are 2 in the front electrical box on the MPEM (15A and 5A). There is also a 5A fuse in the rear electrical box that protects the starter solenoid. If your gauges light up but the motor does not crank when the key is installed, then that fuse may be a problem. What exactly does the ski do when you plug in the key and try to start it?

So for full accuracy, jump starting a Seadoo is NOT a problem done correctly. You can't use a high voltage booster box, and you shouldn't do it from a running vehicle. BUT, there is no harm in jumping it from another 12V power source like a car battery or other ski. As long as it isn't running, you are fine. And remember there are fuses in both the front and rear electrical boxes.

That is correct.
But remember the standard precautions on all boats, of no sparks in enclosed spaces with any fuel vapors present. Usually not a problem on Seadoos.
When Seadoo voltage regulators go out, you can sometimes get high and variable voltages while running that can drive the MPEM nuts with lots of strange engine behavior, but I have never heard of this blowing the MPEM.

Since we are on the subject. does one need to disconnect "both battery cables when charging the battery or will "one" suffice? I always disconnect both cables but I have battery disconnects on two of my skis. I still worry about voltage issues so I am a bit leery about leaving even one path for external voltage to wreak havoc. :)

The Green GTXs are by my favorite skis. The two skis I plan to keep are a 96 and 97 GTX. They do all I need and do it well !! Regarding your problem.... Take your time and do your checks first.

CASE IN POINT - When I bought my 96 GTX the owner was there with his buddies and to show me the ski turned over he put a jump-box on the ski to get it spinning. At the time I didn't know any better. But the ski survived. with no issues at all.

Another CASE IN POINT On my 1997 I was testing stuff and got the cables crossed up ....yes backwards. I didn't get it connected but I saw the spark. It only blew the fuse... whew !! Thank you Lord. :D :D That was the only system on the 97 that was good. The engine was toast. LOL GOOD LUCK !! Mark those cables. !! :D :D

Since we are on the subject. does one need to disconnect "both battery cables when charging the battery or will "one" suffice? I always disconnect both cables but I have battery disconnects on two of my skis. I still worry about voltage issues so I am a bit leery about leaving even one path for external voltage to wreak havoc. :)
Technically you only need to completely disconnect one side (either one) of the battery because then there is not a complete circuit path for charging current to flow into the jetski's electronics or for the jetski's electronics to be affected by the higher charging voltage. But why take any chances, you should disconnect both to insure no accidental connections occur when charging.

So I’m new to the forum and I’m in a bit of a pickle, I’ll start off by saying that I have a 1995 xp 717, I jump started my jetski and started a whole cluster of problems, I got a completely new electrical system however the jetski will start and run for about 20 seconds until it blows the 15 amp And the 5 amp fuse then shuts off the engine.. any idea how to fix this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back