Jet pump oil leak (video)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lithium2g

98 Speedster

Noticed a reasonably small amount of oil seeping externally from between the right hand jet nozzle and the pump so i pulled them off for the very first time to investigate.

Lately, after each time on the river I noticed the milky white chemical reaction around the same area and its got me concerned im leaking jet pump oil.

I had a seadoo mechanic replace the oil 3 months ago as part of normal servicing, its had 10 hrs use since, for all i know its been leaking since then and i havnt noticed it. I've read some people suggest it could have been over filled.

I've uploaded a video showing what im seeing.

IM just wondering how I should proceed. Should i pull the whole thing off and have a look at it? Is it likely i'd need to rebuild the pump with new seals?

You need to figure out if the leak is coming from the cone which has an o-ring or the shaft seal at the front of the pump by the impeller.

If its just the cone you could get by with only replacing the o-ring on the cone. Id also make sure the mechanic didnt overtighten the bolts on the cone as they can crush the plastic tabs and then the cone may not seal correctly.

If it was me I would do as mentioned above and rebuild the pump with all new bearings and seals.

Why wasn't it pressure tested after? The mechanic is supposed to pressure test it.

Chester

only really two places they will leak from, front or back - back is cone, front is seal. The seal can be changed without touching the bearings if you are good.

Thanks for the responses.

IM fairly confident its just water leaking in through the grub screw and mixing with the oil... I've got a feeling the previous mechanic didnt use thread locker or something.

My plan is to take the cone off and replace the oil and do a seal pressure test if I can get the right equipment to do that and replace the o-ring if need be. Otherwise im gonna have to pay the seadoo guys to do a rebuild because i dont have a vice or a press.

Im having trouble finding the right tool to remove the bolts from the cone, neither of my socket sets are skinny enough to fit in the gap where the bolts sit.

Edit: picked up a tube spanner and it worked a treat.

Last edited:
Got pics of the impeller head and cone. There was a bit of water and milky white oil sludge inside.... didn't look like there was an o-ring when it came off....i was going to clean it thoroughly and put it all back together with a new oring and pressure test it.

Any thoughts with these pics?

I've read some people say that water in cone requires a full rebuild and others say it doesn't...

Attachments

• pump4.jpg
    pump4.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 27
  • pump3.jpg
    pump3.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 25
  • pump2.jpg
    pump2.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 25
  • pump1.jpg
    pump1.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 23
It's too bad you do not have a vise, I would throw it in the vise, pop the impeller and shaft out and take a look at the bearings. Depending on how they looked and how the shaft spins would determine further action.

...Im having trouble finding the right tool to remove the bolts from the cone, neither of my socket sets are skinny enough to fit in the gap where the bolts sit.../QUOTE]

Those are supposed to be socket head bolts, not hex head.

Chester

The 98 speedster manual says HEX. SCREW M5 X 20 and shows the same screws. Either way It look like water was leaking around these screws as well.

The threads on the cone appear to be busted. I was looking to replace the cone in any case... but unable to find anywhere that sells the right part #271000895 Impeller cover.

I suspect there is a different part/model that works for mine but i am uncertain which one is appropriate...
These guys ship locally to me, they sell 2 types SBT Australia - JET PUMP NOSE CONES

Update: cleaned every thing up. Added new oring to impeller cones and resealed all the bolts with a good quality sealant and added new jet pump oil. Ideally I should pressure test but I don't have the equipment. But I ran the engines on hose and nothing appears to be leaking. Tomorrow will try the river after work...

Thanks for all the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back