Is this a piece of my wear ring

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

despower

Hello Forum
I've been having problems with my Sporster LE... lots or RPMs but can't get the boat to plane. Just no power. So, I checked this forum, which told me to inspect the impeller gap. I figured that I would also change the jet oil while I was at it.

When I pulled off the reverse gate and nozzle, I pulled of piece of hard black plastic from inside the jet. See attached. My gut told me that it's a piece of the wear ring, but I'd never had to change one out and I never had the impeller off before so I don't know what to look for. I have attached photos of the impeller and it looks to me that the gap is much wider than the spec 1mm so I am guessing that the piece I pulled out if indeed a piece of the ring. The wear ring that's left looks mangled to me, but I don't know what to look for. Can anyone tell me that my assumption of a mangled wear ring is correct?

These things don't seem to be too hard to replace (I have the shop manual), but I'm wondering if I should bring it in the shop to replace anyway. I don't have an impeller removal tool or a shaft holder. Any advice is appreciated.

Des

Attachments

• Plastic.jpg
    Plastic.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 13
  • WearRin1.jpg
    WearRin1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 12
  • WearRing2.jpg
    WearRing2.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 12
Yup...that is/was part of your wear ring,,,you will need to remove the prop,of course,,,hoping you have the tool,,use a power bar to remove the prop,,,pump of course is in a big vice,,,
Then,,,usually i take a reciprocating saw,,,shorten the stroke to the length of the ring,,,and then make 2 cuts about the width of a narrow chisel,,,about 1/2. Inch wide,,,,,and then slowly punch it into the ring,,,I slowly go deeper on both grooves,,,with the saw,,,leaving the chisel in produces constant pressure,,,and eventually the ring pops up over itself,,,as your cut deeper into the pump,,,of course,,,try to avoid going into the pump,,,
For reinstallaion of the new one,,,I leave it in the freezer over night,,,and then use a 2 by 4 ,,,with a large maul..leaving the pump on a solid surface,,,usually the shop concrete floor,,and slowly bang the ring in,..turning the board 90 degrees after every punch.

Thanks a bunch. I don't have the prop removal tool so I'd have to get one of those. Do I also need the impeller shaft holder tool? It's listed in the shop manual, however, looking at how it is used for the repair, it looks like it is a 'nice to have' rather than a must have. Photo from the shop manual attached.

Attachments

• tool.jpg
    tool.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 8
You will need a good strong bench vise to hold the shaft while you remove the impeller. You will probably need a little heat on the shaft to free up the loctite

Thanks guys... part is actually in stock locally, so I'm in luck. How often do these things need to be replaced? I am guessing it is something that I should be checking more often. I had planned to change the oil offseason, but put it off until now. Should have done that long ago and I'd have been all ready for the summer season.

Rusty is right,,,use a strong vice, and power bar,,,wear rings last a long time,,,unless you are sucking up rocks or wood,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back