Is 300 HP too much…for newbie

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

AngieD700

Hello…about to get either GTX or RXT. My question is does a supercharged PWC with at least 230 HP “need” to go fast all the time? Like in the motorcycle world, they usually say, “start with a slow bike and ride it hard”, vs “a fast bike and ride is soft”. I just don’t want to get soemthing that’s intended to be ridden fast all the time. Hope that makes sense.
Now if all the HP is just there when you need it and the supercharged is easy to maintain, I’ll be fine.

Keep in mind that, for the most part, a 150 hp machine is just as fast at the top end as a 300 hp machine due to the 'agreement' the manufacturers have with the Coast Guard, etc...typically around 68 mph, we're talking stock, off-the-floor PWCs here.
So what the extra hp does is simply get you there much faster. Stupid fast, which CAN be disconcerting for a newbie.
You bring up a good point about maintenance; the more complex the sytem(s) the more that can and eventually DOES go wrong and need repair...so keeping it simple not only reduces initial spend but also future spend. Insurance is another thing a lot of people overlook, but it can be, depending on the insurer, quite a bit more expensive to insure the ultra-high performance machines.
Additionally, the water conditions will often dictate just how fast you can go, or will WANT to go.
I typically find I like to do my long cruises (10 miles or more) at about 40 mph as long as the water isn't too rough.
Finally, a 300 hp machine can burn 30 gallons per hour compared to a 150 hp machine burning through half that.
So, lots to consider.

Keep in mind that, for the most part, a 150 hp machine is just as fast at the top end as a 300 hp machine due to the 'agreement' the manufacturers have with the Coast Guard, etc...typically around 68 mph, we're talking stock, off-the-floor PWCs here.
So what the extra hp does is simply get you there much faster. Stupid fast, which CAN be disconcerting for a newbie.
You bring up a good point about maintenance; the more complex the sytem(s) the more that can and eventually DOES go wrong and need repair...so keeping it simple not only reduces initial spend but also future spend. Insurance is another thing a lot of people overlook, but it can be, depending on the insurer, quite a bit more expensive to insure the ultra-high performance machines.
Additionally, the water conditions will often dictate just how fast you can go, or will WANT to go.
I typically find I like to do my long cruises (10 miles or more) at about 40 mph as long as the water isn't too rough.
Finally, a 300 hp machine can burn 30 gallons per hour compared to a 150 hp machine burning through half that.
So, lots to consider.
This all exactly what I had read, so thank you!! I only have motorcycles to relate it to…but the idea is the same. I started on smaller bike with 65hp. I could get to the 100mph, but it took time to catch up and it was an effort. With my current bike, I have 125Hp and I get to 100mph, no issues. More importantly, the bike is still very manageable at slower speeds. HOWEVER, there are the other “liter” bikes, that need and want to go fast and need to use the high HP’s all the time.
I rode a 160HP Kawasaki all day yesterday, it got to 65, but it was an effort. I like the GTX 230. 230 HP, which I read is important if you’re off shore skiing. A lot to learn, but I don’t want to get the wrong machine

I'm in agreement with tobytd and 200mph, you control the throttle and some pwc have the different modes which limit rpm's. When purchasing my first street bike, I purchased a 1700cc and my first pwc is a RXT-X 260. I've never had issues with control but the point made about insurance is spot on. The throttle will be there when you gain the experience and confidence, Ride Safe!

Thanks all…ended up getting a 2019 GTX 230 and I love it. Very controllable launching and not torquey at all. The 2019 has the Rotax 1500 (1494 cc) vs the 2020, which has the Rotax ACE 1630 (1630 cc). Since I’ve only ridden the 2019, I have no idea if the difference in cc’s will make that much of a difference. Either, I’m having fun so far

Back